Marq

Introduce yourself here!
Marq
ROM Dongle

Marq

Post by Marq »

Hello, QL fellows,

I'm a retro platform surfer, and got my first QL only last year. They were extremely rare here in Finland in the 1980s, but luckily there's ebay.co.uk. I'm probably going to do some minor (demoscene) related programming, even if the QL hardware isn't very well suited for the purpose. To be honest, at times I've been shocked by some of the design flaws, but at least there's plenty of challenge ;) In the future I want to keep up with the latest developments in the QL scene. Happy to be a tiny part of this community!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Marq

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello and a warm welcome. Some demos would be great as the QL seems to get left out. The ZX81 has some decent demos about and the speccy scene is legendary.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Just to add, after seeing the youtube vids, do you have an interest in american cars?

Marq
ROM Dongle

Post by Marq »

vanpeebles wrote:Just to add, after seeing the youtube vids, do you have an interest in american cars?
No, the vids are uploaded by a friend :)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forums Marq - it is good to see new people joining the forums and we can help in any way we can.

Some good QL demos are required - but if you want to use dual screens, Minerva is certainly a help on that score, as you can access the QL's main screen (located at $20000 - or 131072) as normal, and also the second screen (located at $28000) from SuperBASIC.

Normally the second screen is occupied by the system variables, so can only really be accessed from Machine Code.

Minerva allows you to access this from SuperBASIC - it is just a shame this feature was never copied into SMSQ/e.

Marq
ROM Dongle

Post by Marq »

RWAP wrote:Welcome to the forums Marq - it is good to see new people joining the forums and we can help in any way we can.

Some good QL demos are required - but if you want to use dual screens, Minerva is certainly a help on that score, as you can access the QL's main screen (located at $20000 - or 131072) as normal, and also the second screen (located at $28000) from SuperBASIC.

Normally the second screen is occupied by the system variables, so can only really be accessed from Machine Code.
I have no problem with C/asm, so that shouldn't be an issue as long as the sound API and VBI are accessible even if the system is killed. Demos don't need much more 8-)

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

Would you may be interested in doing sth like a QL demos workshop? Explaining how to create demos and explaining some tricks? This could than also be published in QL Today or on a Blog page. I would be very interested in finding out more about demo programming and I think also others could be motivated to some programming in this area. What do you think?

cheers,
t