Hi from another QL newbie

Introduce yourself here!
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Hi from another QL newbie

Post by 1024MAK »

:arrow: Hello to everyone! :!:

Anyway, having discovered your forum earlier this week while browsing http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/sinclairql.html, I have been having a quick look around.
Rather than just lurking, I have now joined the forum community.

I first saw a real QL in the year it was launched at a computer show at Birmingham. This was while I was at secondary school.
I was doing computer studies and used my 48k ZX Spectrum and the schools BBC Micro's for my project.

Despite really liking the idea of the QL, I was a little bit disappointed with the keyboard and of course there was all the bad press about the microdrives and the dongle, so I upgraded the Spectrum with a proper keyboard (from DK Electronics) and an Interface 2. I also built a replacement PSU for it as at the time I was experimenting with electronics and robotics.

Then the Atari ST came to the UK. I saved up and got a STFM.

I never did get a QL (well unless you count the QL PCB with most IC's fitted but not soldered that I got about ten years ago).

Now this year I saw a post (on another forum) that showed a QL with a non-Sinclair keyboard on fleabay. Googling did not help much, but I thought that I would bid anyway. Much too my surprise I won (just) :!:

Being new to the QL, no doubt I may well be after some help :mrgreen:

Mark (1024MAK)

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Hi from another QL newbie

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello and a warm welcome! Was that QL the one on ebay with the schion keyboard? (red function keys) I have a few Acorns and also a Psion XP II organiser :)

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Err, sorry about the rather late reply :oops:

Yes, it has a SchÖn keyboard.
Keyboard s.JPG
The keyboard has a sticker on the PCB that says "Keyboard Products Ltd. Made in England. Part No. AS0720-1. Serial No. 700965."

I now also have a standard QL as well :D

The one with a SchÖn keyboard has JS ROMs, I think the PCB is issue 5 and the serial number is D06-004854.
The standard QL has JM EPROMs, I think the PCB is issue 5 and the serial number is D10-019918.

I am presuming that the PCB issue number is the lettering on the PCB between J4 (CTL1) and J5 (SER2) near the ROM's.

Mark

Tag: Schon
Last edited by 1024MAK on Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I never realised until it was pointed out but the keys off the schon are from a BBC :oops: