Hello there (again) from Germany

Introduce yourself here!
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Hello there (again) from Germany

Post by olifink »

What happened? This is all a mistake, it should be 2018 by now?!

It started harmlessly enough for me with the Spectrum Next Kickstarter (still eager anticipation) that I was thinking back to my youthful sins I hadn't thought about in decades. Obviously from there back to the QL was only a small step (I wonder what people are doing with it? is there still software around? could I get hardware? wouldn't it be fun to see it running again?)

There are some classics in the attic I dare not touch - the first QL from 1986 my 15 year old self managed to buy somehow. It always was a Programmers programmers machine - at least for me. Every language and tool was there, but assembler was the most mysterious. Some kind soul back then sent me a QL Technical Guide, a universe opened up, it became one of my most prized possessions and sent me on a journey...

So, it's great that there is still life in the QL world, and to see the names I still remember from back in the day. We might have met a User Group meeting Jochen took me to, or we might have mailed and exchanged disks (in a time where IRC was not chat but the universal currency of International Reply Coupons). Loved it, and still have of lot of these letters.

Anyway, before I'm getting too nostalgic: huge thanks to Dilwyn for building the archive and even putting some of my follies there - for which I'm extremely grateful (not least because I had forgotton about most). Thanks also to Jochen who pointed me to Marcel who in the last weeks helped a lot to find the sources of QSpread and agreeing to make it freely available and it will go Open Source on GitHub (soon'ish).

So, nope - definitely not a mistake: happy to be here, looking into the "new" stuff like QPC and FPGA, but - hey - nothing beats the real thing with clicky keyboard dir flp1_ a CRT monitor and fire up qmac and qmon again.

O

martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: Hello there (again) from Germany

Post by martyn_hill »

Welcome back, Oliver!

I, like many QL enthusiasts, recognise your name only too well!

You've got a bit of catching-up to do - and this is the best place to see what you've been missing :-)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Hello there (again) from Germany

Post by vanpeebles »

A very warm welcome to the forum! :)