A long and windling road

Introduce yourself here!
Fnorder
ROM Dongle

A long and windling road

Post by Fnorder »

Hi,

Swedish Retrocomputernerd calling. This is my Sinclair story.

My name is Lars, I was born a month before Armstrong set foot on the moon, and I've been using computers since my father brought home a ZX-81 in the early 80's. We also bought the Your Computer magazine almost every month and entered lots of the programs from there. Oh, Castles of Carmain.... Oh the memories.

Talking about memories... the 16k memory expansion, of course, was wobbly, and once when I wrote a fantastic little game (you should enter the castle, steal the crown and get out) my brother insisted on trying it before I had saved it, moved the computer and... boy, I was very close of killing him with my bare hands!

We read about the Speccy in the magazines and I thought it was charming, and when Your Computer started writing about the QL I thought it was an absolute dream!

Well, time went on. I worked at my mother's work during two summers and bought my own Commodore 64 instead of a Spectrum (Why? Well, it had broader user base in my home town - no one there had a Spectrum) and from there I moved on to the Atari ST.

At fall 1999 my father passed away, and I took care of the ZX-81. When going through the cassette tapes I noticed that he had been using the ZX to calculate his taxes during most of the 80's. He wrote his own tax calculating programs every spring. :)

Well, having a Sinclair in my hands again, I felt that the Sinclair computing way of life had been like a lost paradise to me. What if I had bought a Spectrum instead...

Just a few years later I found a Speccy at a flea market! I also got an Interface 1 and two microdrives.

At another flea market I found a QL power supply and thought "Maybe I'll stumble across a QL lacking this one day.... I better buy it!"

Last year at the Swedish Atari Club's annual gathering "Nordic Atari Show", a guy sold a Sinclair Spectrum 128K, Opus Discovery Double Drive(!) and lots of literature! I bought it without hesitating!

Eventually, last year I bought a boxed QL at a net auction - and it lacked the power supply (as I had foreseen!)! I got it quite cheap!

The keyboard membrane was broken (of course!) so last month I bought a new one from SellMyRetro and yay! The QL is alive!

A very charming computer indeed. Several evenings has been spent getting to know it. In short I will start programming on it. I really look forward to it!

On August 19th to 21st 2011 the Swedish Atari Club will hold their annual retro computing meeting, but from this year on, they will not focus on Atari only anymore! It will be a Multi platform retro computing gathering!

More info here: http://sak.nu/index.php?ucat=15

Even tho I am the secretary of the Swedish Atari Club, I most probably will bring my Sinclair QL this year! Or the 128K+Opus. We'll see! If it is a multi platform event I do as I please! :D
Last edited by Fnorder on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: A long and windling road

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome and thanks for the story :D The Opus sounds like a great find. I believe that at one time software on the QL and Atari worked pretty close together but that was long before my time. :geek:

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forums - there is still a lot being developed for the ZX81 (see the ZX81 forums - http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/ZX80_ZX81/forums/

The QL has started to gain more interest again over the past year or so, with some new hardware (such as the SER-USB device to allow you to use SD memory cards) and a spattering of software (mainly re-releases of old games, but some new and updated public domain software too).

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:Welcome and thanks for the story :D The Opus sounds like a great find. I believe that at one time software on the QL and Atari worked pretty close together but that was long before my time. :geek:
There was of course the Atari ST-QL emulator which was a "QL" compatible card which plugged into some types of Atari ST and ran QL software. It was originally developed by Futura Datasenter in Norway, but eventually passed to Jochen Merz who manufactured it for many years. It could run the original QL operating system QDOS and later a version of the extended operating system, SMSQ/E. I never owned one (or even saw one) but many people used them, especially in Germany,

There was also a kind of emulator of the QL for Ataris, written in software, called QLem. Get a copy from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/ - I think it was written by Johan Klockars (Swedish?).

QL2ST v3.0 is an associated QL disk transfer utility for use with QLem. QL2ST has two functions - initialise disks in the Sinclair QL format and convert files from a QL format disk to a TOS file system.

TOSforQL is an emulator that allows certain programs written to run under TOS on the Atari ST to be run under QDOS. The emulator works by intercepting calls to the TOS operating system and mapping them onto the equivalent QDOS operating system calls.

Anyway, all available from the above page if you'd like to try them out.

Dilwyn

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:Welcome to the forums - there is still a lot being developed for the ZX81 (see the ZX81 forums - http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/ZX80_ZX81/forums/

The QL has started to gain more interest again over the past year or so, with some new hardware (such as the SER-USB device to allow you to use SD memory cards) and a spattering of software (mainly re-releases of old games, but some new and updated public domain software too).
I recently released a ZX81 compilation CD including emulators, manuals, games etc etc which is available to purchase online from QL software company Quo Vadis Design at http://www.ql-qvd.com/

I think this Forum has been instrumental in getting a few retro enthusiasts, new users and some who weren't aware a QL scene still existed to get in touch and (re)join the QL scene.

Question is: how do we build on this to reach out to other such potential QL users out there? I like the idea of the 'Java QL Emulator' for example. As I am on Quanta (QL user group) committee, I'd be very happy to get suggestions for what else we could do.

Dilwyn Jones