Hello from Tunbridge Wells

Introduce yourself here!
Adrian
ROM Dongle

Re: Hello from Tunbridge Wells

Post by Adrian »

dilwyn wrote: Welcome, Adrian. It's nice to see people acquiring QLs and getting them to work.
Thanks Dilwyn,

It's interesting isn't, to see dead computers come back to life. Honestly, this was all just whim really, but it's becoming surprisingly addictive getting them going and reading up about decades old computers. Sounds like I might become a dab hand with a soldering iron again...

Thanks as well for all the information on your web-site. I had come across it a couple of days ago, and it's a treasure trove of information. I honestly can't see how people could use their QLs without this information. I wonder how people got on before the internet?

Adrian

Adrian
ROM Dongle

Post by Adrian »

vanpeebles wrote:Ooo - also check out this free ebook that came out at Christmas, it's excellent :)

http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1147
That is incredible. Going straight onto my tablet for train reading. Thanks.

Adrian
ROM Dongle

Post by Adrian »

belg4rion67 wrote:Hi and welcome;
for floppy cable read this: http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... able#p8466
Cheers
Paolo
Thanks! I'll take a read.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Welcome to the wonderful if somewhat quirky world of the QL.

Most of use have been addicted from the beginning, some (not mentioning any names! ) more than others. But as the others have already mentioned, it's always a pleasure to see new joiners here :)

Keep us updated on your progress - it's looking good so far.

Jean-Yves
Last edited by Sparrowhawk on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Adrian,
You may need cartridge pads. Can someone say where can these be bought?
I can thoroughly recommend QPC2....
Steve.

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome to the QL world Adrian!

:D :D :D

Good luck with your QL adventures :D

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Hi and Welcome, Adrian.

While the QL has the capacity and tools to handle most or all the old (last millennium) languages, you cant really use it to build modern apps. No Ruby, Python or even Java. However, the older languages and the craft of using them is deeply embedded in the archeology of the modern paradigms, so a good understanding of programing the QL might be useful in gaining a better understanding of (modern) programing in general?

IMHO, the QL is best at two things: BASIC and Assembler, both, as it were, built in. Assembler gets you to the heart of its beautiful and relatively simple and compact OS, giving you god-like powers over the whole machine. The simplest way to use assembler on the QL, and perhaps the best place to start, is to build collections of machine code extensions, known as toolkits, for the high-level SuperBASIC shell.

A number of books and manuals have already been mentioned on this thread. Add to that the "QDOS SMS Reference Manual", which is the most comprehensive tome on QDOS/SMSQ/E available. Dilwyn has it. The supreme teaching guide to good QL programming and good coding in general, must be the SMSQ/E source code itself! Get it from W Lenerz at http://www.wlenerz.com/smsqe/

These two works may appear harsh and terse at first; no colourful examples or pretty pictures to guide you (the nearest youll get to that is Norman's excellent ebook tutorial) but they are (on the whole) almost autistically clear and logical. The degree of access and control, as well as the potential to fix and improve are some of the benefits of persevering. The pain/benefit balance may not suit all, but then, as you know, almost anything worth doing is difficult in the beginning..

All the best,

Per

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Adrian
ROM Dongle

Post by Adrian »

Hi Again Forum,

I thought I'd let you know that I've got a floppy drive up and running now: hurrah! I've written/saved/loaded my first program (straight from the QL user guide, as a test) to and from a vintage 3.5 inch floppy and drive combination.

For new users interested, I mostly followed RWAP very detailed advice.

Components used:
  • * A Sinclair branded Micro-Peripherals interface (listed as QLFDC v4.0, issue A, with QFLP 1.16)
    * An old internal PC floppy cable using only the straight portion (so far)
    * An old Samsung SFD-321B 3.5 inch floppy drive
    * 5V 2A power supply with IDE style connector
    * IDE/Molex connector to double FDD (mini spox) connectors
With the help of a friendly soldering iron enthusiast at work, I modified the floppy drive from a PC standard to QL friendly configuration by moving the drive selector from DS1 to DS0 and for good measure changed pin 34 from DC (disk change) to RDY (ready) as well.

Formatting a floppy (and HD floppy with HD home covered) took a couple of attempts before it finally took hold, but given how old all of this equipment is, I wasn't too unhappy...

Next steps:
  • * Untwist floppy cable
    * Add another floppy (I've got another SFD-321B on order)
    * Add a USB floppy to a spare Raspberry Pi for data transfer
On a less hardwarey note, SuperBasic looks quite interesting, so I might take advice and spend a little time playing with this as a first step. I reckon if I put on some old Jam albums while I'm doing this, that should get me back into a mid-eighties frame of mind for intense coding...

Adrian

p.s.
If anyone can point me at a manual for the QLFDC v4.0, that'd be useful...

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Good to hear - although for compatability reasons, you really should use DD disks rather than HD ones with the hole covered up (if you try reading them on a HD drive on a PC you may find it more difficult - and certainly may run into problems on a DD drive!)

As for manuals - unfortunately, we do not seem to have a manual for QFLP upgrade ROM - you are better using the generic disk manual:
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/index.html#disks

The original MicroP disk interface manual can be found a little further down that page:
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/in ... _Interface