QL PSU

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: QL PSU

Post by dilwyn »

Anyone happen to know the part or type number for the QL power plug and socket?

Virtually impossible to get, but if we know the part or type numbers we can watch out for them, and I can add the part number to the diagrams on my site.
Last edited by dilwyn on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I've looked through several conectors and can't find a match

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Pr0f wrote:I've looked through several conectors and can't find a match
It seems also impossible to find any connector with the correct distance between holes :(
The famous CPU fan connector is very similar, but its holes don't match perfectly the QL pins.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Cristian wrote:
Pr0f wrote:I've looked through several conectors and can't find a match
It seems also impossible to find any connector with the correct distance between holes :(
The famous CPU fan connector is very similar, but its holes don't match perfectly the QL pins.
True - but it's close enough that a printed shell that could accept the pin sockets or similar pin sockets from another connetor type might just work :-)

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Cristian wrote:Recently I made some enhanced PSUs. The aim was getting more power but less heat, without touching the QL motherboard.
The power range is from 3 Ampere to 5,6 Ampere. The two units in the middle are still available, but I'm afraid the main problem would be the shipping costs (from Italy).

Got either of those left Cristian?

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Hi Chr$,
The two in the middle are still available for the moment, but someone else is intested and I'm waiting for its possible confirmation or denial.
Meanwhile I may give you technical specs via PM so you can choose which one you would prefer.

yellowsubmarine
ROM Dongle

Post by yellowsubmarine »

Hi Christian,

I'm also interested in the middle PSU if it is available! :)

I'm a new member so I'm not allowed to send PMs at the moment.

Cheers!

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Cristian wrote:Hi Chr$,
The two in the middle are still available for the moment, but someone else is intested and I'm waiting for its possible confirmation or denial.
Meanwhile I may give you technical specs via PM so you can choose which one you would prefer.
The case of the 3rd from the left looks really nice (and QL-like). Did you find that online? When you made these, did you construct the power supply from scratch or did you combine off the shelf components into a box (see videos below) to get it to work. If the latter, I'd be interested in a bit more info because I'd like to give that a try. The connector is always a problem but there are work around for that...

pre-build power supplies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOU2sZv_ng

actual wall plugs (warts) stuck together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCdXV0X6wEY

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

yellowsubmarine wrote: I'm also interested in the middle PSU if it is available! :)
Sorry, no more PSU available. I would like to build some more, but they take a lot of time...

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

bwinkel67 wrote:The case of the 3rd from the left looks really nice (and QL-like). Did you find that online?
Thank you. I found it at an electronics fair. It was an old 12V PSU.
None of the PSUs in the picture is internally identical to another one. Actually I used different techiques.
In one or two instances I put together a 9V PSU with a 15V one. Mainly, I lowered the voltage of 12V 3A PSUs with 7809 or 7808 regulators in order to get less than 9V. This was to keep the QL temperature low while increasing power.