WTD: UK layout USB keyboard

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

WTD: UK layout USB keyboard

Post by Dave »

Wanted:

UK layout standard 102 key USB keyboard. Any economical membrane keyboard will do, if it is standard and doesn't require any special drivers to be installed to work.

I have developed a USB interface that works with US keyboards, and there are some minor differences in the HID specification for US vs. UK keyboards. I can't test and continue to develop on a US keyboard. It's at its core an Atmega AT90USB1287 which presents the USB keyboard with a host interface. It collects the keypress data and interprets it into QL ASCII characters. It is not yet at the stage where it can function as a replacement of the 8049, but it's not a million miles away either. With a little more work (and a keyboard) it could be extended to possibly incorporate serial functionality. If I can reach this stage, it can be a combined 8302/8049 replacement.

I'm happy to pay the purchase price and shipping costs for a UK keyboard. Just, an economical (and standard) one, not a fancy one with extra keys for email/power/volume/etc.

One thing that has come out of this: the discussion of where we might insert a Euro symbol into the QL ASCII map?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: WTD: UK layout USB keyboard

Post by tofro »

Dave wrote:One thing that has come out of this: the discussion of where we might insert a Euro symbol into the QL ASCII map?
That discussion has already ended:

SMSQ/E puts the € character at CHR$(181)

The key combination associated with that character is <CTRL><SHIFT>U.

I don't see a point in changing this.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Great :D

00 58 44 18 00 00
00 44 58 18 00 00
00 64 57 18 00 00
00 57 64 18 00 00

That covers every left and right SHIFT and CTRL, held in any order.

I'm curious if there's a French keyboard layout, or if any of the known other country layouts change any key positions.

I'm still looking for a UK keyboard, though.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Dave,

Yes there are French keyboard layouts, amongst others. You can see some/all/most of them at http://superbasic-manual.readthedocs.io ... rd-layouts.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.