Sandy QXt-640 revived

Sell your QL items here!
RWAP
RWAP Master

Sandy QXt-640 revived

Post by RWAP »

I have managed to revive a Sandy QXT-640 computer - and have listed it on sellmyretro.com

Just for the fun of it, I have included a note of my trials and tribulations in getting the computer back up and running.

Purchase or bid for the Sandy QXT-640 on SellMyRetro

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Sandy QXt-640 revived

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:I have managed to revive a Sandy QXT-640 computer - and have listed it on sellmyretro.com

Just for the fun of it, I have included a note of my trials and tribulations in getting the computer back up and running.

Purchase or bid for the Sandy QXT-640 on SellMyRetro
Very good, I see vanpeebles has already made a dawn raid for it... :twisted:

When these were originally mentioned in Sandy's adverts in QL User/QL World in the 1980s, I nearly bought one - I remember thinking how it might reduce the clutter on my desk with all the cables and bits hanging off the QL. At the time I had two QLs and thought better of it. Might have been worthsome money by now, although it was quite expensive at the time.

Dilwyn

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

According to the QL Wiki - it was indeed expensive for what it was...

http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... %20QXT-640
The QXT-640 was available as a complete 1 drive system for £654, or as a twin drive unit for £699. It was also available as a kit of parts and case to upgrade your existing QL from about £259.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Must.....bid.....on...QL.....goodddiiiesss!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Drat and dam*!**!n

I moved the QXT today to test the CADPAK software which I have found (only a copy disk unfortunately). And the display went blank again after the memory test.

I took it apart again and refitted the keyboard interface, but have not been able to refit the microdrive unit. That said, it seems more stable now, so maybe the problem was not caused by the keyboard interface, but by those bendy wires from the microdrive cable.

On close inspection, they had started to fray, so I have just covered them in tape and removed them from the circuit.

On the postitive side, I have found 3 disk drives which will fit the opening - they might even be the type Sandy originally used as some different mounting holes match up to those drives better, so hopefully, can provide two working drives with front panels!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

If I did win *touch wood* I'd disconnect the microdrive :)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

As I recall, we only used Mitsumi/Mitsubishi(?) and Citizen mechanisms in the QXT if that's any help.