Digital Precision Limited Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Digital Precision Limited Software

Post by RWAP »

Following an email from Freddy Vaccha, we need to compile a list of Digital Precision software, copyright position and the authors.

I have the following list, but may have missed some:
  • * 3-D Precision - A 3D modelling tool
    * ACT - the Adventure Creation Tool - An adventure creation program (created text and graphics adventures) - written by Steve Sutton (unable to contact him)
    * Better Basic Expert System
    * Blocklands - also known as Blocklands Warrior
    * Cartridge Media Manager
    * Desktop Publisher - An earlier version of Professional Publisher
    * Digital C - An implementation of Small-C
    * Droidzone - A fast and furious shoot 'em up arcade game - written by Paul Tuck
    * Eye-Q - A bitmap graphics program
    * IDIS - Intelligent disassembler
    * Lightning - A program to speed up text and graphics on the QL
    * Media Manager - A program to allow the QL to read disks written in other formats - written by Chas Dillon and available on the SInclair QL Homepage
    * Microbridge - Version of Bridge for the Sinclair QL
    * PC Conqueror - A software based MS-DOS emulator
    * Professional Astrologer - Astrology program
    * Professional Astronomer - A program to detail the stars and planets
    * Professional Publisher - A desktop publishing program
    * QL Super Monitor - A 68000 machine code monitor / disassembler - written by Keith Poole
    * Solution - An earlier MS-DOS emulator
    * Success CP/M Emulator - Run CP/M on your QL
    * Super Arcadia - Two arcade games - BMX Burner and Grid Racer - written by Derek Jones (BMX Burner) and Ian Robinson (Grid Racer)
    * Super Astrologer - Astrology program - the forerunner of Professional Astrologer - written by Elmar J Dünßer
    * Super Backgammon - Implementation of the classic board game - written by Ian Robinson
    * Supercharge - The first SuperBASIC Compiler - written by Simon Goodwin
    * SuperForth - An implementation of the Forth-83 programming language - written by R. E. Jackson and Gerry Jackson and available through the Sinclair QL Homepage
    * Super Reversi - A version of Othello written in SuperForth - written by R. E. Jackson and available through the Sinclair QL Homepage
    * Super Sprite Generator - A program to create sprites on the QL
    * The Editor - A fully fledged editor capable of complex functions
    * Transfer Utility - Program to transfer programs from microdrive to disk
    * Turbo - The fastest SuperBASIC Compiler produced for the QL - written by Simon Goodwin and now released in the public domain - updated by George Gwilt and others (?)
    * Ultraprint
Last edited by RWAP on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf R.

Re: Digital Precision Limited Software

Post by Ralf R. »

Oops...something wrong with the list... :o .

As far as I remember:
  • Solution
    PC Conquerer
    Success CP/M Emulator
    ACT Adventure Creation Tool
    Lightning
    Perfection

all written by Steve Sutton
Ultraprint was written by a chinese boy, I have letters from him (about complaining price vs. program) so I can look. Would be interesting to know, which DP programs were written by Freddy himself.

There is also a version of Eye-Q for the GigaMouse, (Mouse sold by ABC Andreas Budde and DP).

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

First, the name Digital Precision is now apparently owned by David Batty at Sector Software (former QL software dealer), from what he told me a couple of years ago. Does anyone know how to check with Companies House that this is the case?

The Editor - Mark Knight enhanced this and it's available at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/editview/index.html (Editor v3.07K)

Desktop Publisher/Pro Publisher - Andrew Astrand?

Eye-Q - Charles Southall?

Perfection - Freddy. An update of this to v6a12 by Mark Knight is on my website at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/editview/index.html but you need to own an original version, i.e. this is just an update.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

dilwyn wrote:
Yes. I have the SuperBASIC source (ProPub), unfortunately not from the extensions. I think he is working at JOYUN LTD.

Perfection was written by Freddy? Hmm, I am not sure. The Jobheader says "Perfection SE ... SS" and "SS" means Steve Sutton. I also do not think that Freddy (mea culpa) has written such a big program in MC, as Steve has always done.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Ralf R. wrote:
dilwyn wrote:
Yes. I have the SuperBASIC source (ProPub), unfortunately not from the extensions. I think he is working at JOYUN LTD.

Perfection was written by Freddy? Hmm, I am not sure. The Jobheader says "Perfection SE ... SS" and "SS" means Steve Sutton. I also do not think that Freddy (mea culpa) has written such a big program in MC, as Steve has always done.
OK, I stand corrected. Did Freddy write the manual, then?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Ralf R. wrote:
dilwyn wrote:
Yes. I have the SuperBASIC source (ProPub), unfortunately not from the extensions. I think he is working at JOYUN LTD..
Not any more - he is a former director of the company unfortunately - the company was wound up in 2011.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

dilwyn wrote:First, the name Digital Precision is now apparently owned by David Batty at Sector Software (former QL software dealer), from what he told me a couple of years ago. Does anyone know how to check with Companies House that this is the case?
Well you have to pay for directors details, but using the companies house webcheck service, you can see that the registered office of the new Digital Precision Limited is 39 Wray Crescent (Sector Software's address). Freddy wasn't sure why David Batty set this company it - it was set up within days of the original Digital Precision being closed down and seems to have been dormant ever since.

Maybe it could be used as a tribute company / site !!
dilwyn wrote: The Editor - Mark Knight enhanced this and it's available at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/editview/index.html (Editor v3.07K)
Who wrote the original - was it Chas Dillon?
dilwyn wrote: Perfection - Freddy. An update of this to v6a12 by Mark Knight is on my website at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/editview/index.html but you need to own an original version, i.e. this is just an update.
I will ask Freddy tomorrow specifically about Perfection but it looks as though it was indeed written by Steve Sutton (again)....

Unfortunately Freddy did not have any other contact details for the former authors either....

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Andy Astrand has now given his permission for his two programs (Desktop Publisher and Pro Publisher) to be made freeware. He is going to speak to Freddy about the source codes for these.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

As I have written, I have the SuperBASIC source of Professional Publisher but just the binaries of the Extension files. Freddy has written to me (former) that he also did not have these.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Does anyone have:

a) A scanned manual for Desktop Publisher
b) A better scanned manual for Desktop Publisher Special Edition (and the software)?
c) A better scanned manual for Professional Publisher?