Concept-3D by Robert Fingerle.

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Concept-3D by Robert Fingerle.

Post by RWAP »

Following confirmation from swensont that the author provided his consent to this software being made freely available (see http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... t+3d#p5663), I have now managed to save a copy and emailed it to Dilwyn for the Sinclair QL Homepage.

:)

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Concept-3D by Robert Fingerle.

Post by vanpeebles »

Is this a 3d drawing package?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I think so - I tried using it, but couldn't figure out what to do.

Unfortunately, it just came with an original microdrive cartridge - no manual of any sort. :(

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

I have a copy of the manual from Robert. I'll have to dig around and see what I did with it. I've had it about 6 years or so. Robert lived in Fremont, CA, In College my copy of Quill went bad. I had a paper due the next morning. Sunset Electronics told me that Robert was in my area. I called him and he gave me a spare copy of Quill. He was about a mile way from where I was living. At the time, he demo'd Concept-3D. It is written in SuperBASIC and compiled (don't recall which compiler). Robert passed away a few years ago.

When I find the copy of the manual, I'll scan it and get it to Dilwyn.

Tim Swenson

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Great thanks - that was a stroke of luck being put in touch with him.

It is compiled with SuperCharge, but I can't figure out any of the controls....

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:Following confirmation from swensont that the author provided his consent to this software being made freely available (see http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... t+3d#p5663), I have now managed to save a copy and emailed it to Dilwyn for the Sinclair QL Homepage.

:)
After a bit of a struggle (Windoze thought it was a virus due to an unusually named file and wouldn't let me or QemuLator have anything to do with it), it's now available from:
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/graphics/index.html (scroll down to Concept 3D).

If I get a manual for it, I'll add it to that page if and when Tim manages to find it.

For the meantime, I found a review of the software in a magazine from 1986 so that's been scanned and added to the page as a PDF file, plus the text copied into a Quill doc file with the zip file. Reading the review (I haven't had time to try running the software yet) it looks like a pretty good 3D graphics package.
pic04.png

QLObi
ROM Dongle

Post by QLObi »

Very nice tool !
Like to get the manual.
For the demo press 3 X F3, than Shift F, 'l' for load and than type demo(CR).
Best on Q-emu at max. speed.

QLOBI
Attachments
Conxept 3D.PNG

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Great - you got further than I did after a quick go....

Can you email me a gif of the full sized screen dump, for me to use on the QL Wiki please....

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Concept3D.zip
(26.54 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Here is a copy of Concept 3D that will now work from FLP etc, (unzip on QL to retain file types).

The Supercharged program 'con' will not work on Minerva or SMSQ/E, it reports 'Line 1 bad parameter'.

It does work on JS rom, also with the pointer environment (ptr_gen, wman, hot_rext). Have a look at the boot program listing, it includes the necessary actions (in REMarks) to get it working as a multitasking job.

The menu system takes a bit of getting used to, key options are case sensitive.

Once started just hit F (FILES), l (load), and enter 'demo' to load glider demo file. (The file 'crank' is my own pathetic example).

It is sad the source listing is unavailable, the number of points you can plot is fixed and a bit limiting, and it would have been good to use a larger window. It is quite quick on Super & Gold card systems.

I also have a another 3D drawing program called Viewpoint (Rubicon Computing Systems), this now works on all systems (PE, Minerva, SMSQ/E). Similar to Concept 3D, but a machine-coded program that has a small separate m/c loader utility that allows you to redraw the image files from within your own Basic programs. It doesn't perform surface filling like Concept 3D, but does do hidden line removal.

I will wait until its status is known before uploading the zip file.

I have the original documentation for both programs (bought in about 1987) if they need scanning. In fact the Concept 3D manual looks good enough to attempt OCR'ing.
Attachments
Concept3D.png
Concept3D.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Viewpoint.png
Viewpoint.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
Last edited by Silvester on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

David
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Silvester wrote:
Concept3D.zip
Here is a copy of Concept 3D that will now work from FLP etc, (unzip on QL to retain file types).
Thank you.
Silvester wrote: I also have a another 3D drawing program called Viewpoint (Rubicon Computing Systems), this now works on all systems (PE, Minerva, SMSQE). Similar to Concept 3D, but a machine-coded program that has a small separate m/c loader utility that allows you to redraw the image files from within your own Basic programs. It doesn't perform surface filling like Concept 3D, but does do hidden line removal.

I will wait until its status is known before uploading the zip file.
This program is listed as a commercial program on Rich Mellor's website (£10+£2.50 P&P) and on QL Wiki.
Silvester wrote:I have the original documentation for both programs (bought in about 1987) if they need scanning. In fact the Concept 3D manual looks good enough to attempt OCR'ing.
For Concept 3D, most certainly, this would be VERY welcome as it is not easy to use without the manual. I don't know if Rich has a manual for this program, sorry.