QL Commercial Software Preservation

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Commercial Software Preservation

Post by tofro »

Rich,

I very much appreciate what you (and the people supporting you) are doing.

But: Let's face it - (This is now my very personal opinion) There has been a lot of software around for the QL for Software development. But apparently, people seem to think there'd be a treasure chamber full of games gems hidden somewhere out there behind nasty capitalistic copyright owners. I think there isn't.

There were quite some games indeed, but nothing really unique where I'd say it'd urgently itch me to own that title. Compared to other micros, there's no such thing as the killer game (like Manic Miner on the Spectrum, Sun Dog on the Atari, M.U.L.E or Maniac Mansion for the C64, Elite on the BBC or Zarch for RiscOS) - The QL had only a very small number of above average games, and nothing really stunning. I like the fact that you're trying to preserve all of this stuff - But, alas, I think (again, my personal opinion) I don't need it ......

The QL used to be (and for me, still is) a development machine. There's no other micro of that that time that had that much programming languages and development tooling available given its really short commercial lifetime. And basically all of the really good tooling is still available and, even better, free.

If you want some good games: Come up with a good idea and write them yourselves!

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
QLObi
ROM Dongle

Post by QLObi »

Hi Tobias,
do you ever played FTC (or FTC II)? That's definive a cultic game!
Even more complex than something like ELITE.

Detlef

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

No.

(But I was actually hoping/expecting someone to come up with a killer game to prove me wrong ;) )

Maybe I should try that sometimes.

Thanks
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Fleet Tactical Command would be a great program to be re-released (as well as some of the other stuff designed by Di-Ren).

Unfortunately, I have been completely unable to track down Robin Barker (even though he was an ex-Quanta Chairman). I even tried contacting someone who I believe used to live with him, but no response.

Does anyone remember who else was involved with Di-Ren (it was not just Robin on his own from memory)...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:Fleet Tactical Command would be a great program to be re-released (as well as some of the other stuff designed by Di-Ren).

Unfortunately, I have been completely unable to track down Robin Barker (even though he was an ex-Quanta Chairman). I even tried contacting someone who I believe used to live with him, but no response.

Does anyone remember who else was involved with Di-Ren (it was not just Robin on his own from memory)...
His brother... sadly I can't remember his name :cry:

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Rich,

I have found this archive reference to DI-REN, dates back to 1996-1997, not sure it is of any use.

http://web.archive.org/web/199701232123 ... ts/ftc.htm

Tom

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

That is an excellent find. I've never seen a screenshot of the PC version it looks very good. Is the address at the bottom, different to one people have been trying to contact them on?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I tried to download the software, but it is password protected.

I usually dump the web site I am interested in using WGET, but this will fail at the password prompt.

Pity FTC could not be GPL then a updated version could be done.

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

vanpeebles wrote:That is an excellent find. I've never seen a screenshot of the PC version it looks very good. Is the address at the bottom, different to one people have been trying to contact them on?
No - that is the old address where Robin Barker used to live....

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Ah, I thought we had a lead then :)