PROGS Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

PROGS Software

Post by RWAP »

I have received confirmation that all of the PROGS QL Software is open source.

I have downloaded the sources which are available on the progs website - and understand that Urs Koenig has an IOMEGA Zip drive with the rest of it on - although it is unfortunately damaged.....

I have sent q-emulator versions of the released programs to Dilwyn (for him to add to the SInclair QL Homepage), but there are still some titles I am missing:

PWfile
fSearch
PFlist

Maybe others...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: PROGS Software

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:I have received confirmation that all of the PROGS QL Software is open source.
I have downloaded the sources which are available on the progs website - and understand that Urs Koenig has an IOMEGA Zip drive with the rest of it on - although it is unfortunately damaged.....
I have sent q-emulator versions of the released programs to Dilwyn (for him to add to the SInclair QL Homepage), but there are still some titles I am missing:
PWfile
fSearch
PFlist
Maybe others...
Unfortunately, the QemuLator zip files have proved to be too difficult and time consuming to convert, anything which contains directories - they all give bad parameter errors even when read on QemuLator. Given my partner's illness at this time, I don't intend to spend any more time on this. If these can be sent to me as non-QemuLator format, maybe I can do something then.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Hi Dilwyn,

You should unzip them using Windows and then attach the folder - I presume you were trying to attach the zip file directly to q-emulator, which will not work!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:Hi Dilwyn,

You should unzip them using Windows and then attach the folder - I presume you were trying to attach the zip file directly to q-emulator, which will not work!
Exactly what I did (as I have done with previous stuff you sent me), nothing seems to work. I suggest you avoid this method COMPLETELY in the future as it is just too time consuming to convert. I have to unzip them in Windows, attach them to QemuLator drives, copy them to non-NFA level 2 drives such as a ramdisc and finally re-zip them all. The process is time consuming enough when it works! And of course there's no MAKE_DIR in QemuLator to do all this on a QXL.WIN

Anything containing QL sub-directories fails anyway even when done like this - there is some form of name matching error with the directories.

Having unzipped it in windows and attached the resultant Data Design folder to a QemuLator drive, DIR WIN3_ lists the dd_ and install_ directories but attempts to access those directories with DIR win3_dd_ or dir win3_install_ gives 'invalid parameter'. Likewise, PRINT FTYP(\win3_dd_) (quoted or unquoted) gives Not Found error.

Even Wcopy Win3_dd_ to ram1_dd_ gives errors!

The simplest most trouble free solution is for you to send them to me as QL zipped files then all this conversion would not be necessary in the first place.

If Daniele is reading this, please can you look into why hotkeys only work from letter keys on QemuLator while they work fine on all other systems, e.g. a hotkey defined on '-' or '=' keys doesn't work, but it does when assigned to say 'a' or 'x' keys. HOT_LIST includes the key definitions in the list produced.

HTH (extremely hard)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I should have added I'm using the SMSQ_QEMU, the QemuLator specific version of SMSQ/E downloaded from Daniele's website.

Also happens if I just boot into QDOS (ver$ = JS ROM).

Haven't got SMSQ_GOLD installed at the moment to try that.

Level 2 directories enabled in the QL COnfiguration window.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

dilwyn wrote: Having unzipped it in windows and attached the resultant Data Design folder to a QemuLator drive, DIR WIN3_ lists the dd_ and install_ directories but attempts to access those directories with DIR win3_dd_ or dir win3_install_ gives 'invalid parameter'. Likewise, PRINT FTYP(\win3_dd_) (quoted or unquoted) gives Not Found error.
Even Wcopy Win3_dd_ to ram1_dd_ gives errors!
Hmm - but the zip file I sent you with has the datadesign folder which ONLY contains the following files:

boot
dd
install
startup

There are no sub-directories on this disk until you try to install the program which creates them...

Oh DRAT :o I didn't copy the sub-directories from the disks - hang on....

I have reported an issue to Daniele with q-emulator - namely that if you used
WCOPY flp1_boot TO flp2_

(with the above list of files),

WCOPY fails for some reason, as there is a file called flp1_boot

No idea why this should happen, as it does not happen on a normal QL or any other system....

You are right though - q-emulator does not seem to add anything to the sub-directories to let you know it is a sub-directory and WCOPY does not work on a sub-directory...
Last edited by RWAP on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have sent Dilwyn fresh QL zip files of DataDesign and LineDesign.

He already has ProWess, Proforma Font Packs and the Painter....

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:I have sent Dilwyn fresh QL zip files of DataDesign and LineDesign.

He already has ProWess, Proforma Font Packs and the Painter....
All ProWesS (PROGS Windowing System) packages uploaded now to:
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/prowess/index.html

The Painter is on the Graphics page http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/graphics/index.html, in versions 3.04 and 4.04. There is a slight problem with that program in that it uses non-standard QL file types for patterns, fonts etc. QDOS unzip fails to cope with File Type 4 in particular, so I had to make a QL zip file of the program and most data files, then encapsulate that in a Windows Zip file which holds:
1. Painter manuals zip file, quill doc and plain text formats
2. Painter program and most data files
3. Loose font files, which will need to be copied to a QL and converted (how?) to type 4 files to work with The Painter.

If anyone has any idea how to convert them, e.g. a little basic program to patch the headers, I'll gladly add it to the page.

Thanks Rich for all your work.

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

Does anyone have a copy of Datadesign V4 as mentioned on the PROGS site, http://www.progs.be/DATAdesign/datadesign.html

Dilwyn's site has V3, but not the updated V4 with "QD-style icons" in "Database" software section.

There appears to be a version of DataDesign in the PROWESS section. So is it that V4 was only available if you use Prowess or can it be used without it?

The screen shot of V4 certainly makes it look a lot better than the V3 copy I use, but I don't really want to have to install Prowess just for this, so any knowledge/advice would be appreciated.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

JonS wrote:Does anyone have a copy of Datadesign V4 as mentioned on the PROGS site, http://www.progs.be/DATAdesign/datadesign.html

Dilwyn's site has V3, but not the updated V4 with "QD-style icons" in "Database" software section.

There appears to be a version of DataDesign in the PROWESS section. So is it that V4 was only available if you use Prowess or can it be used without it?

The screen shot of V4 certainly makes it look a lot better than the V3 copy I use, but I don't really want to have to install Prowess just for this, so any knowledge/advice would be appreciated.
I'm not sure of the answer, however here's a quote from the manual for version 4. I hope I am right in interpreting it as "if you already have an earlier version you can use v4 without adding prowess, but starting afresh it means you'll need the prowess disks to get the essential parts of Data Design which weren't supplied with datadesign". Presumably, this means you could use DataDesign once you have the "engine" part without having to be running full ProWesS on your system. Hope that's clear (as mud).

Code: Select all

* Section 2.1 Installation under ProWesS

The current version of DATAdesign (version 4) is supplied to new users without the DATAdesign engine. This Program is part of the ProWesS package so you will need to have this package in order to use DATAdesign. If you have installed the ProWesS package as part of your usual setup then you only have to use the utilities button on your system and indicate the 'Install files on flp1_' instruction. This will install DATAdesign and copy the file to a directory as instructed.
*Section 2.2 Updating from a previous version

Users of older versions of DATAdesign who are upgrading their copies to version 4 can simply substitute the new program into their boot file as it was before.