Running XChange on q-emulator

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Running XChange on q-emulator

Post by RWAP »

OK a few problems here (based on Xchange 3.90L):

a) The boot program needs a MODE 4 added
b) The boot program could also do with PROG_USE flp1_ and DATA_USE flp1_ before the line
EX flp1_XCHANGE

otherwise the default for printer information is set to mdv2_ and help files mdv1_

c) When printing you have to use F3 Print Current Whole to PRINTER
if you change PRINTER to ser1, q-emulator tries to save it to a file (was this always the case with Xchange - maybe so...)

d) I try to run LRUN flp1_CHOOSEPRINTER_bas, but get an error in LINE 170

Code: Select all

170 OPEN_NEW #3,ram$&'pdriv_dat': WDIR#3,dev_kort$&pfil$:CLOSE #3
This is because the Toolkit 2 wildcards do not work properly in q-emulator for some reason:

Line 170 is trying to do:
WDIR #3, flp1_xchange_dat

Because that filename exists, then q-emulator reports bad parameter!

CHOOSEPRINTER_bas also fails on SMSQ/e with an error - misplaced END IF in line 585

Of course, what I really need to run is PEDIT_BAS to set up the correct printer driver (can someone remind me what CHOOSEPRINTER_bas is supposed to do).

I cannot use EXEC flp1_PEDIT, as it reports runtimes missing (!) - the qliberator runtimes are not included in the package.

I can then set up the default printer to use SER1 as the printer device and run the program.

I will email the amended zip file to Dilwyn, having sorted these issues - can someone have a look at CHOOSEPRINTER_bas - maybe that can be deleted?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Running XChange on q-emulator

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:OK a few problems here (based on Xchange 3.90L):
(snip)
I will email the amended zip file to Dilwyn, having sorted these issues - can someone have a look at CHOOSEPRINTER_bas - maybe that can be deleted?
Thanks Rich, I'll have a look over the weekend.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:OK a few problems here (based on Xchange 3.90L):
Of course, what I really need to run is PEDIT_BAS to set up the correct printer driver (can someone remind me what CHOOSEPRINTER_bas is supposed to do).
CHOOSEPRINTER_bas is just a short program to select which of all the xchange_dat files you want, e.g. if you are in the habit of calling them xchange_dat_epson xchange_dat_canon xchange_dat_deskjet and so on, saves having to dive into pedit to select and install and so on. It identifies drivers just by spotting the "t_" within filenames, e.g. xchange_daT_epson

Not essential but presumably someone thought it useful at some point, though I never used it myself.

So many people had a hand in the original releases of Xchange we'll probably never know who, why and when!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Ah right - although the program doesn't work on q-emulator or QPC2 - would be interesting to come up with a solution!

I have pointed out to Daniele the issue with WSTAT (etc) commands on q-emulator, so hopefully he will investigate as to why these fail if you provide a full filename as the parameter.

It might make sense to stick to either CONFIG_bas or PEDIT_bas - as they both do the same thing so far as I can see - presumably PEDIT is an improved version of CONFIG_bas