QUBIDE PARTITIONS

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
genetika
Over Heated PSU

QUBIDE PARTITIONS

Post by genetika »

Hi.
I'm using QUBIDE 1.56 with SuperGold Card on a Standard QL ( with MINERVA and SuperHERMES ).
I partitioned a 2GB CF Card (using a CF to IDE adapter) with the following parameters :

(Using : PARTITIONS_EXE application)
  • PARTITION NAME : MASTER
    START : 0
    END : 519
    SIZE : 256MB
    BLOCKS 8
I formatted the above partition (65535 in two passes) and it seems OK ( I copied SMSQ/E and the system boots correctly).

How is possible to create a new partition (N.2) ?

I tried with different parameters without success... :cry:
(using (C)hange option )

For example :
  • PARTITION NAME : EXTEND
    START : 520
    END : 1039 / 1038
    SIZE : 256MB
    BLOCKS 8
Thanks in advance for your help!
Kind regards,
Massimino

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: QUBIDE PARTITIONS

Post by dilwyn »

With the FORMAT command you can only set up the first partition.

You need to use the partition program to create the other partitions. There's also WIN_DRIVE commands to set partitions. Not sure how to use them as it's a L-O-N-G time since I last used a Qubide.

Do you have a copy of the Qubide manual? There's replacement manuals on my website at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/index.html (Qubbesoft manuals section) if you haven't.

There's also some differences on whether you have v2.00 or later of Qubide ROM. Again I can't remember exactly what these are, though the replacement manuals have a sheet showing the differences.

I suppose it's possible that the CF cards or interface don't quite work in the same way as a physical hard disk, although I've never heard of anyone reporting this.

Here's an extract from the manual showing how to use the WIN_DRIVE command:
Partitioning

The new partitioning system is much more flexible than the old one. and allows you to load in a partition when required and unload it again when you have finished with it. This is particuarly useful if you have more than 8 partitions spread across several drives, or have limited memory available.

The QUBIDE ROM will install Win1_ from the first partition on the first master drive. It will not automatically install any other partitions.

If you want to always have other partitions loaded (or perhaps use a different partition as Winl_ ) you will need to add one or more WIN_DRIVE commands to your boot file.

WIN_DRIVE Command

The keyword "WIN_DRIVE” accepts either one or three paramaters as follows:

WIN_DRIVE win_no. will unload a partition
WIN_DRIVE win_no,drive_no,partition_no will load a partition
e.g.
WIN_DRIVE 2,1,4 will make win2_ be the 4th partition on the 1st drive
WIN_DRIVE 2 will unload win2_ (provided it is not in use)

Drives are numbered from 1, with MASTER drives as odd numbers. If you have a single master slave pair, the drive numbers will, therefore, be 1 for the master, 2 for the slave. If you have multiple masters, they are numbered 1, 3, 5 etc.

When WIN_DRIVE is used to load a partition, it will unload any previous partition with the same win number, provided the old partition was not in use at the time. There is no need to use a separate WIN_DRIVE command to unload a previous partition before re-using its slot. The WIN_DRIVE command will also lock removable mediums such as the SyQuest EZDrive 135 and the Iomega Zip drive for security, you must unload the partition to be able to remove the media from the drive.