Dhrystone compiled on BBQL with Digital C SE

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Dhrystone compiled on BBQL with Digital C SE

Post by bwinkel67 »

So using the -t option in the code generator/linker got me this table:

Code: Select all

Functions
~~~~~~~~~

_clunget         81EA
_dosw            81DA
_fpush           8BAE
_getid           844E
_ltoab           891A
_mult_l          8866
_open            836E
_print           89A4
_qstrcpy         87B2
_read            8400
_write           8434
atoi             87C0
ccargc           844A
datastart        8444
delete           8316
exit             80E2
fclose           83D6
fgetc            8202
fgets            8248
fopen            835C
fputc            82D4
fputs            8294
ftoa             8812
get_chanid       845E
get_fd           82FA
getc             8202
getchar          81FE
gets             8232
isdigit          883C
ltoa             898A
main             84BC
printf           8B98
putc             82D4
putchar          82CE
qdos_error       8466
strlen           8854
ultoa            88B6
ungetc           846C

Global variables
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

array2D          84B4

_arg1            8730
_cmd             8732
_cnt             872E
_vec             8706

And 8B4B is 33972 in hex, which matches what the 16 bit values are showing. So at least I know that the 6 value that represents an address for array2D[j][1] is an error. In fact, what 6 here is, is the offset value (i.e. if you add it to 33972 then you'd have the correct array value).

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I have that updated document (it's actually integrated in the SPC_TXT file that comes with Digital C SE distribution).

So I've narrowed down the problem. It's not an issue with 2D arrays, it's actually an issue with array of structs. So this code will work:

#include stdio_h

struct record {
   int a;
   int b;
};

struct record list[10];

main ()
{
   list[5].a = 10;
   list[5].b = 20;

printf("%d, %d\n", list[5].a, list[5].b);  /* works using literal values...prints 10 and 20 */
}
But as soon as you introduce variables it will not:

#include stdio_h

struct record {
   int a;
   int b;
};

struct record list[10];

int i;  /* global variable */

main ()
{
   int j;  /* local variable */

i = 5;
   j = 5;

list[5].a = 10;
   list[5].b = 20;

printf("%d, %d\n", list[i].a, list[j].b);   /* doesn't work using variables (doesn't matter if local or global)...prints 0 for both */
}
Of course if you use i and j during the assignment then it works but only because you are accessing uninitalized memory (i.e. for me I'd see some screen corruption). Looking at the addresses, anytime you have a variable as an array subscript, when using an array of structs, it calculates the offset but doesn't add it to the actual address -- so all you are left with is the offset.

I do have the source (from Dilwyn's site) and I emailed Gerry Jackson, who is still active on GitHub. Unfortunately the email he used for Digital C SE is specific to it (qldigitalc@gmail.com) so I may not hear from him. I can't find his email on GitHub, though I could just randomly post/comment on an active project and see if he responds. The Digital C SE source was compiled on QL2K using Digital C SE (pretty cool) so I should be able to create a corrected version if I can figure out where it fails. It's in the parser, and having it narrowed down to the simplest case will hopefully make it easier to figure out.

What I need to do first is compile my sample code on other emulators in case QLAY is doing something funky that's causing this weird issue. I also want to make sure I have the latest version of Digital C SE, in case an older version crept in for me. I'm still hesitant to say there is a bug in Digital C SE, because if it is a bug, that would have been horrible QA by Digital Precision. They basically implemented this struct feature that made it unique from all the other Small C implementations on the QL (i.e. GSC and QL Small C) and failed to check if it actually fully worked...and they specifically had examples in their manual using that feature.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Same result on Q-emulator with the second, broken program. So structs in Digital C SE are broken. Next, I will look to see if I can find the issue in the parser and see if I can fix it and then recompile it. I don't run QL2K as often as QLAY but it's pretty much the same with sound added.

I'm actually excited about compiling the Digital C SE compiler with the Digital C SE compiler. That's pretty cool and I remember back when I was in college and learning Pascal as a youngster, it blew my mind that Niklaus Wirth compiled his Sheffield Pascal compiler in Sheffield Pascal itself.