Turbo Toolkit

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Turbo Toolkit

Post by pjw »

Im trying to re-assemble Turbo Toolkit [TTK], partly because it needs some updating to fit in with developments in SMSQ/E and partly for the hell of it. Ive never used GWASS before, but since thats the way TTK is configured now, I guess the simplest would be to use that. However, one of the first lines of the TTK sources stipulates the inclusion of a file fnproc_inc or fnproc_asm. I cant seem to find this file anywhere. Any idea?
Has anyone successfully assembled TTK in recent years? There could be other surprises, only I havent got passed this point yet.. If so please pass on any other missing files and/or advice.
I could, of course, just dissemble the toolkit and convert the whole thing to Qmac, but I dont think that would be nice of me considering the trouble George has gone to. Its his project, after all. Also it would be a hassle to transfer all the remarks and things..
Any help you can render would be appreciated, and the results will be shared.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: Turbo Toolkit

Post by NormanDunbar »

I haven't heard anything from George in some years now, sadly. He was great at helping update my website to cover the QDOS/SMSQ trap codes etc, and also, for keeping me right in my assembler series in the late, lamented QL Today.

I have noted a couple of bugs in GWASL, the 68008 QDOS version of his excellent assembler, and I'm in the same boat as you, his library routines are not supplied in the source code. (Available from http://gwiltprogs.info/page2.htm) -- I'm pretty sure the files you need are the same as those in GWASL. :( (Correction, no, I checked, it's a different filename, LIB_HED is the one I need.)

Sorry.

However, it might be possible that the files you need simply contain a bunch of macros? And if so, they could be, ahem, easliy, recreated? Maybe?

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
ones' complement
Brittle Membrane

Post by ones' complement »

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

You sir, are a gent!

Thank you.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Hi,
Thanks for your various responses. Much appreciated!

Sadly, no joy with the reassembly, tho'. 160+ errors are now down to a mere
24, thanks to the resurfacing of the missing fnproc file. But the TTK
source code is much hacked over the years, by many different actors, and
added to the mix is, to me, foreign, directives and macros, so it feels
like wandering through some freakish, bombed out Escher landscape. I
thought it might be nice to have it as a tidy piece of code that anyone
could understand, update and reassemble, but I dont think I'll bother..

All I wanted was to remove POKE_F and PEEK_F from the SMSQ/E version, as
they scribble over SMSQ/E's more versatile implementations. My workaround
has been to patch the binary so that PEEK_F reads PEEKxF and POKE_F reads
POKExF. Not pretty, but does the job.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Per,

I have been looking at the source code to Turbo Toolkit v3.44 from trbos22.zip.

In the TuboTK.txt manual, it is said that Simon Goodwin released Turbo Toolkit as freeware, maybe the source code was not released and the "Turbo Team" disassembled the Turbo Toolkit 3h27 and developed later revisions, ehich wod explain the assembley code, having labels with a disassembler generated names like LAB6789: from DEA disassembler.

I looked at the downloadable version of compiled version TTK v3.44 from QL Homepage, it has config blocks compiled into the code, as stated in the manual, is this a good way for Turbo Toolkit to develop, as it departs away from Simon's original code?

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Per,

I have been looking at the source code to Turbo Toolkit v3.44 from trbos22.zip.

In the TuboTK.txt manual, it is said that Simon Goodwin released Turbo Toolkit as freeware, maybe the source code was not released and the "Turbo Team" disassembled the Turbo Toolkit 3h27 and developed later revisions, ehich wod explain the assembley code, having labels with a disassembler generated names like LAB6789: from DEA disassembler.
I think so too. But the code has been significantly reconfigured to be Gwass-compatible only, with Gwass macros and conditionals that would take a lot of work to make Qmac-compatible - quite unnecessarily, to my mind.
Derek_Stewart wrote:I looked at the downloadable version of compiled version TTK v3.44 from QL Homepage, it has config blocks compiled into the code, as stated in the manual, is this a good way for Turbo Toolkit to develop, as it departs away from Simon's original code?
I think of it as a "historical document", warts an' all, and dont see a need to make sweeping changes. The original source code may be lost, otherwise why go to the trouble of disassembling the toolkit. Since then a lot of updates and improvements have been made to both the toolkit and the Turbo compiler. Sorting out wots wot could be as hard as unscrambling an omelette. Id just want to update it to the current state of play and reassemble with Gwass.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?