Superfast Mandelbrot

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Cristian
Aurora

Re: Superfast Mandelbrot

Post by Cristian »

[OT] In the vast majority of cases the files are so small that it doesn't make any sense for me to compress them. I can't stand .zip files: each time they must be unpacked with real QL or emulator, or with special tools. So annoying for a 10K file!
I am much better with floppy images (also the .imz compressed image format): they can be read directly by (Q)emulator(s), or you can directly create real floppies to be used immediately on QL, without header problems.
Sorry for the OT

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Cristian wrote:[OT] In the vast majority of cases the files are so small that it doesn't make any sense for me to compress them. I can't stand .zip files: each time they must be unpacked with real QL or emulator, or with special tools. So annoying for a 10K file!
I am much better with floppy images (also the .imz compressed image format): they can be read directly by (Q)emulator(s), or you can directly create real floppies to be used immediately on QL, without header problems.
Sorry for the OT
Hi,

I zipped the floppy disk image because the Forum software wou,d not allow a .img file.

Maybe the Forum Admin could allow FLP image file to be attached to a message.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Drifting off topic slightly for a moment again, sometimes it just feels to me like every single QL and emulator in existence has a different filing system. Not a problem for those who can find their way around them, but makes it harder (and time consuming) for those like me who try to find a common format that everyone can access to use QL software.
Still OT, but is this actually true? QPC2, Q-Emulator and sQLux (once next release is made, code is under test) all use the same format. SMSQmulator I have not examined but i thought did too?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

XorA wrote:
Drifting off topic slightly for a moment again, sometimes it just feels to me like every single QL and emulator in existence has a different filing system. Not a problem for those who can find their way around them, but makes it harder (and time consuming) for those like me who try to find a common format that everyone can access to use QL software.
Still OT, but is this actually true? QPC2, Q-Emulator and sQLux (once next release is made, code is under test) all use the same format. SMSQmulator I have not examined but i thought did too?
Slowly converging for emulators (not so much for BBQL etc though) thanks to the efforts of Marcel, Wolfgang, Daniele and you, thank goodness. Would be interesting to document just how many formats there are for the various systems, emulation, BBQL, images and other hardware. Might make a frightening list for new users. (sorry vol, this is straying off topic a bit much now - might need to start a new thread on that as a separate topic).

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

And that is why, whenever possible, I always go back to Tebby stuff (i.e. drivers, toolkits, OS, etc). Too many cooks and all that...

Also a little more OT, is'nt it great that out beloved QL case never yellowed with age, unlike most others nowadays (unless subjected to peroxide 'refurbishment' :-) ).

David
Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Derek_Stewart wrote:or why not find the screen base address in the channel table.

But first the system variables need to be found.
Yes, to be polite to OS, ideally open a window, look up the channel definition for screen base and line length, then according to current colour mode use SD.EXTOP when drawing screen.

David
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,

Yes, SMSQ/E has the inbuilt SCR_BASE Keyword.

And, QPC2 can be configured at start-up for 512x256 pixels. (As for aspect-ratio, I use a multiplication factor (of .76) for x-units to avoid elongations).

But the main problem arises if you need to Peek and Poke screen memory...

So the vast majority of SBasic programs I have used run OK on that system.

Steve.

vol
ROM Dongle

Post by vol »

stevepoole wrote: I just ran your programs under QDOS, and they are very impressive indeed...

However, under SMSQ/E, they lock up the QL (and of course QPC2) !

An SMSQ/E version would please many users, but the machine code would need modifying....
Accidentally, I have found out what makes my code incompatible with SMSQ/E. It was line

Code: Select all

poke (d+f)/2+s, ...
It works differently for QDOS and SMSQ/E, so I had to replace it with

Code: Select all

poke int((d+f)/2)+s, ...
- all things are ok in version 2 now.
BTW my another project for the QL has been fixed for SMSQ/E too.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Impressive, even on a BBQL!