Previously unreleased game

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Wrangler
ROM Dongle

Previously unreleased game

Post by Wrangler »

It's Christmas (almost), so here is a gift to the community: a QL game I wrote as a teenager in about 1986 which I have managed to extract at last from floppies.

In true 1980s ad style, it features:
  • 100% machine code
  • Isomorphic 3D
  • Interactable objects
  • Deadly traps and puzzles
lrespr quinquagesima.bin
to run it

This was only ever a work in progress, not a finished game so excuse the dodgy sprites and music, plus any bugs! I tried to get it published, failed, and lost interest in the project and the QL, moving onto another machine (you can tell which when you play the game) and not looking back until now.

Important notes:
  • The forum won't let me attach a .bin file, so it is ZIPped on a PC - hope that works, I've not used this forum much
  • This ought to work on stock machines and expanded ones too. I have no idea if it works on an emulated QL
  • I had to hack my own copy protection to get to this version (!) At the first screen you need to enter a 4 digit code (twice unless you are very lucky and guess right on the first attempt!) using F1-F4 to get into the game
  • There is a flashing sequence in the main screen so if you are sensitive to flashing lights (eg epilepsy) DO NOT play. I'm not responsible if you do.
  • Arrows keys to move, space to jump, enter to cycle along the inventory and so drop items
  • Some items will interact with others - you need to work out which to succeed
  • I must have been in an evil frame of mind when I created the room designs - this game is hard and unforgiving. I haven't completed it since resurrecting it, although I think it is possible to win
  • There are about 30 rooms I think, but (and here's a tip) you should not go through all of them to win
  • No updates to the game are going to happen because the code is typical teenager stuff - hundreds and hundreds of lines and no comments!
  • Why is it called that crazy name? It sounded cool at the time and I didn't know it meant something
Enjoy! And let me know if you complete it! :D

Wrangler
Attachments
quinquagesima.zip
(16.18 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Previously unreleased game

Post by mk79 »

There's a file header preceding the code, so LRESPR will not work as-is. One can either remove the first 64 bytes of the BIN file or execute it like this:

Code: Select all

a=RESPR(72000)
LBYTES "win1_quinquagesima.bin",a
CALL a+64
It works in QemuLator and looks quite nice, but I keep dying, sometimes I'm not even sure why ;)

Wrangler
ROM Dongle

Post by Wrangler »

Thanks. Many of the static objects are fatal when touched. The room to the bottom right from the start room is particularly difficult to navigate

Wrangler
ROM Dongle

Post by Wrangler »

Here are a couple of screenshots to show what it's like in-game:
Quinquag1.jpg
Quinquag2.jpg

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I used Marcel's tip for loading the game,

Looks good, once through the first screen with the bouncing ball.

Only got to 2nd room...

Do you have the source code or is it worth disassembling it?

Regards,

Derek
Wrangler
ROM Dongle

Post by Wrangler »

I have the source (which assembles with Devpac) but it's not easy to follow!

FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

Does this game run at the intended speed on a fast system or do we need to SLUG the computer ?

François

Wrangler
ROM Dongle

Post by Wrangler »

You'll need Slug or something similar. Without it, on a GC it's way too fast and on an SGC it's insane. :lol: