QTImage 1.5

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Re: QTImage 1.5

Post by Giorgio Garabello »

Tinyfpga wrote:I would like to run QTImage on my QPC2 setup. After reading various documents I LRESPRed DBAS_BIN and DATA_BIN and then tried to execute QTIMAGE_obj. The result was a runtime error as follows:-

Q_LIB Error 28, Index out of range.

My guess is that QTIMAGE is dependant on the presence of other files. What files does it need and where should they be stored?
only those are needed.
which line does it give you error?

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Tinyfpga wrote:I may have answered my own question. It seems that all the files in the QTIMAGE zip file need to be in same place as QèTIMAGE_obj.
This absolutely not, you can get them anywhere
It is an impressive application program and shows what is possible on SMS in BASIC.
I don't suppose Giorgio has thought of creating a tutorial covering the creation of complex PE programs? I,for one, would like to be able to write BASIC programs like this.
Besides the problem of time ... my problem is the language ... I could do them in Italian :-)
Obviously I am available to help anyone within the limits of my knowledge.
Per Witte taught me many things
Giorgio posts that he had difficulty executing QTIMAGE from RAM disc. I had no problems on my system doing this from RAM1_ as can be seen in the screenshot below. The fatal error occurred when I tried to load the full screen file "screen1_pic".
The problem I am talking about does not give errors, it is an incomplete display of certain menus in a particular case .. I have not yet had the time to create a test case to be able to circumscribe it.
I'm afraid it's an error in the window manager
I have a one suggestion as follows:- The move, resize, kill, sleep and redo buttons are on opposite sides to TT's programs and I find this confusing. Might it not be better to swap their positions?
I didn't put them there by chance, at first they were on the other side.
I could obviously explain why :-). I don't think this renders the program unusable, alternatively it gives some facilitation.
How do you go about converting image files to pic format?
qtimage.JPG
Use the Import option and choose the format you want to import.
At that point file saves.

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

mk79 wrote:
Tinyfpga wrote:Giorgio posts that he had difficulty executing QTIMAGE from RAM disc. I had no problems on my system doing this from RAM1_ as can be seen in the screenshot below. The fatal error occurred when I tried to load the full screen file "screen1_pic".
No, the problem is immediately noticeable, as soon as QTImage is opened, just open the file menu.
If the program is loaded on a RAM (even inside a folder) the menu is not displayed correctly.
You can simply do the test yourself by moving QTImage
I'm sending you two screenshots in your email.

Giorgio

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Giorgio Garabello wrote:No, the problem is immediately noticeable, as soon as QTImage is opened, just open the file menu.
Not for me. It almost looks correct, the only strange thing is the "window resize" icon next to the separator, which isn't there when loaded from WIN:
qtimage_files.png
qtimage_files.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
Strange.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I really like QTimage and after many failures I managed to import a .jpg file, change it to B&W and then save it as both a .jpg and _pic file.
Screen shot below:-
QTimage2.JPG
One thing that was not a failure on my system, was running QT from a RAM disc. QT runs in exactly the same way from RAM disc as it does from a WIN disk on my system. It also fails in the same way.

What is strange, is that if I unzip QT_zip directly to RAM disc it works perfectly but if I copy the files to WIN and back to RAM the program then fails to run.

On my system, QT will only run if all the files are in one place. If I remove any file, QT fails with an error "not found", at line 502, COPY_O

If I try to run QT from some place other than with the associated files I get an error at line 413.

I mostly get the errors "invalid parameter", at line 5484, RECHP or "medium is full" at line 5483 COPY_O when I try to load or import an image.

I see no problem writing a tutorial in Italian. I would gladly translate such a document into English.

I have intended to produce a PE programming manual for dummies (like me) for a long time but the learning process is a slow one. (I am not a programmer. I run a building restoration company).

I like learning by example and in slow easy steps. I post a screen shot of the sort of thing I mean. The program shown is the smallest BASIC program (probably) that creates a moveable window with an area to display a static program. I use this area in the other examples contained in the win8.zip file.
I cannot, as yet, make a window resizeable or create a sub window with its own channel.
minPE1.JPG
WIN8.zip
(414.79 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

mk79 wrote:
Giorgio Garabello wrote:No, the problem is immediately noticeable, as soon as QTImage is opened, just open the file menu.
Not for me. It almost looks correct, the only strange thing is the "window resize" icon next to the separator, which isn't there when loaded from WIN:
qtimage_files.pngStrange.
For sure I didn't put it !!!
Really strange!

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Tinyfpga wrote:I really like QTimage and after many failures I managed to import a .jpg file, change it to B&W and then save it as both a .jpg and _pic file.
Screen shot below:-
QTimage2.JPG
One thing that was not a failure on my system, was running QT from a RAM disc. QT runs in exactly the same way from RAM disc as it does from a WIN disk on my system. It also fails in the same way.

What is strange, is that if I unzip QT_zip directly to RAM disc it works perfectly but if I copy the files to WIN and back to RAM the program then fails to run.

On my system, QT will only run if all the files are in one place. If I remove any file, QT fails with an error "not found", at line 502, COPY_O

If I try to run QT from some place other than with the associated files I get an error at line 413.

I mostly get the errors "invalid parameter", at line 5484, RECHP or "medium is full" at line 5483 COPY_O when I try to load or import an image.

I see no problem writing a tutorial in Italian. I would gladly translate such a document into English.

I have intended to produce a PE programming manual for dummies (like me) for a long time but the learning process is a slow one. (I am not a programmer. I run a building restoration company).

I like learning by example and in slow easy steps. I post a screen shot of the sort of thing I mean. The program shown is the smallest BASIC program (probably) that creates a moveable window with an area to display a static program. I use this area in the other examples contained in the win8.zip file.
I cannot, as yet, make a window resizeable or create a sub window with its own channel.
minPE1.JPG
WIN8.zip
What do you mean when you say: "QT will only run if all the files are in one place."?

which files are you talking about?

p.s.
I really like how he indents and comments on the programs, a much more professional method than many of my colleagues at work. (I am a programmer)

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

Giorgio posted:- What do you mean when you say: "QT will only run if all the files are in one place."?
which files are you talking about?
After some guessing I LRESPRed two files DBAS_BIN and DATA_BIN, that I found on Dilwyn's website. I then downloaded your file QTIMAGE15EXE.zip and unziped it to RAM3 ( my setup does this automatically by executing the .zip file stored on my PC's C drive)
Unzipping QT creates 98 files in RAM3. Executing QTIMAGE_obj generates an application that seems to be fine, except, as mk79 notes, for the resize ------------ oddity in the third row.
QTimage3.JPG
If I remove almost any file from RAM3, QT fails at line 502 with the error "not found" COPY_O, so it seems, to me, that all/most of the 98 files are required by QT.

If I copy the file QTIMAGE_obj to RAM2 and try to execute it from there, QT fails at line 413 with the error no.28 "Index out of range". I have to say this does not actually surprise me.

When I say that all (90) files have to be in the same "place", I think I mean all in the same "folder, directory, device, etc.". Since I don't know the correct terminology for "a place in the SMS storage system" I used the word place.

I then copied all 90 files to a "directory/place" on WIN5 named QT and found that QT executes perfectly from this "place" as long as none of the files are deleted or moved.

Finally I copied all 90 files to RAM4 and, this time QT worked perfectly, so please ignore my sentence beginning "What is strange..."

The word "place" seems a better way to describe where a file is stored because, although there are devices, there are no folders, desktops or other virtual storage concepts on my SMS setup.

Thank you for your compliment. I intend to improve my BASIC source code such that I can really understand how my programs work and thus pass this knowledge to others.

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Why should he remove them? :o
If I put them in the zip it is because they are needed!
Normally they are put in some folder and then from Qascade or some icon you connect to QTImage_obj

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

Giorgio Garabello » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:54 am posted
Why should he remove them?
If I put them in the zip it is because they are needed!
Normally they are put in some folder and then from Qascade or some icon you connect to QTImage_obj
I finally understand and now I have no problem running your program. I even found the reason that I was getting "medium is full" errors.

I do not want to use Qascade, so that leaves me with the options of either directly executing QTImage or trying your idea of connecting the _obj file to an icon. The only icons I want to use are "Buttons". Do you know how to make a button that executes a file?

I tried the obvious BT_EXEC name_of _file but it just produces a button that does nothing.