Does anyone know where I can obtain MetaComCo BCPL?

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
ahw
ROM Dongle

Does anyone know where I can obtain MetaComCo BCPL?

Post by ahw »

I am quite interested in writing software for the QL and, in particular, am interested in using BCPL. I am aware of the modern distribution, but it is, of course, not for the QL.

I've done some digging and the best I can find is someone on a mailing list offering digital versions of both it and the dongle ROM to someone in 2002, a full 19 years ago. I'm sure that it's out there somewhere. I'm just struggling to find it.

Thanks in advance!

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: Does anyone know where I can obtain MetaComCo BCPL?

Post by NormanDunbar »

I eas looking for BCPL too, some time back. The best I found was the designer's own downloads at https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mr10/BCPL.html (Martin Richards designed BCPL) where there is an OS independant version which might be usable?

He's created a Raspberry Pi version too.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
ahw
ROM Dongle

Post by ahw »

Yeah, I'm aware of that version, but it's been updated quite a bit and is really meant for modern systems. The distribution exclusively builds 32-bit and 64-bit executables. At this point, building a compiler for QL in BCPL using the distribution is probably an easier task than retooling it.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Bummer! Still, it was worth a try.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I used to have a copy of BCPL on floppy disk, which did not require a ROM, back in the 1990s, when all we have were slow QLs....

I will have a look on my old floppy disks, which I thought I had made a copy.

I have a very badly scanned copy of the manual, I am in the process of cleaning up.

Regards,

Derek
ahw
ROM Dongle

Post by ahw »

Derek_Stewart wrote: I used to have a copy of BCPL on floppy disk, which did not require a ROM, back in the 1990s, when all we have were slow QLs....

I will have a look on my old floppy disks, which I thought I had made a copy.
That would be awesome! Let me know if you do find it.
Derek_Stewart wrote: I have a very badly scanned copy of the manual, I am in the process of cleaning up.
I actually did manage to find a copy of the manual here ( https://sinclairql.speccy.org/archivo/docs/docs.htm ), albeit it is also a rough scan.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

ahw wrote:I am quite interested in writing software for the QL and, in particular, am interested in using BCPL. I am aware of the modern distribution, but it is, of course, not for the QL.

I've done some digging and the best I can find is someone on a mailing list offering digital versions of both it and the dongle ROM to someone in 2002, a full 19 years ago. I'm sure that it's out there somewhere. I'm just struggling to find it.

Thanks in advance!
I found an archive of Metacomco BCPL - I have no ROM so I have no idea if it works or not (the zip file is windows zip)
Attachments
bcpl.zip
(52.8 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

ahw
ROM Dongle

Post by ahw »

Andrew wrote: I found an archive of Metacomco BCPL - I have no ROM so I have no idea if it works or not (the zip file is windows zip)
Thanks! I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance and report back about whether it works. I think I read that other MetaComCo compilers only require the ROM during compilation, so I assume it would be the same case here, granted this is not similar to the version that Derek_Stewart described, which was said to not require a ROM.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I still have not found my BCPL floppy disk or Microdrive.

I think there was a image of the ROM, with a modifed boot programme to load the rom and link it into the operating system.

I will keep on searching, as I used to like BCPL.

I also have about 60% of the manual cleaned up, just have to OCR with Tesseract to produce a good manual,

Regards,

Derek
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

ahw wrote:Thanks! I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance and report back about whether it works. I think I read that other MetaComCo compilers only require the ROM during compilation, so I assume it would be the same case here, granted this is not similar to the version that Derek_Stewart described, which was said to not require a ROM.
I have no idea if the version from the zip requires a ROM or not :( I tried to look into the files and guess, but it was 3AM here when I found it and I was too sleepy to understand anything. I noticed that there is no boot file, which is strange.

LATER EDIT: It seems that the version from my zip file is the same as described in the manual found here: https://sinclairql.speccy.org/archivo/docs/docs.htm