SCR_YLIM

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: SCR_YLIM

Post by mk79 »

RalfR wrote:How was this checked with the Extended Mode 4 emulator on Atari? I can't remember as I have never used without PE.
Is there an extended mode 4 emulator without the PE? I never had one, but I don't think so.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

mk79 wrote:Othwerise: https://xkcd.com/927/
:D :D :D :D :D

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

tofro wrote:Well, neither Q40/Q60 in QDOS Classic mode Aurora seem to support IOP.FLIM (is that BTW documented for uqlx somewhere? Calling IOP.FLIM without PE loaded might as well lead to a crash or bogus answers on other machines).
What is QDOS Classic mode?

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
tofro wrote:Well, neither Q40/Q60 in QDOS Classic mode Aurora seem to support IOP.FLIM (is that BTW documented for uqlx somewhere? Calling IOP.FLIM without PE loaded might as well lead to a crash or bogus answers on other machines).
What is QDOS Classic mode?
Well, running QDOS Classic, the "pack-port" of original QDOS instead of SMSQ/E on the Q40.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

mk79 wrote:
pjw wrote:Cant we decide on a standard and see it implemented in future iterations of updates? Some system variable, or some under-used Channel Definition Block location to contain the at all times prevalent screen limits?
Sure. I'd call this new standard "PE" and have these variables available at address $f2 and $f4 of the CON driver definition block... I guarantee all new platforms will conform to it!
So anyone enterprising enough to make Qdos display at other screen
resolutions than 512x256, should also manage to set those metrics in
these locations. And no shame should devolve on a programmer who used
something like the following code - and then produced the wrong
answer! Right? ;)

Code: Select all

...                     get sys vars

move.l sys_clnk(a0),d0
        bne.s pi_ok             have we PI compliance?

move.l #$02000100,d1    ..no, must be BBQL 512x256
        bra.s ret

pi_ok
        movea.l d0,a4           ptr to CON linkage
        move.l pt_xscrs(a4),d1  get scr x/y

ret    ...
mk79 wrote:Othwerise: https://xkcd.com/927/
:D

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

pjw wrote:So anyone enterprising enough to make Qdos display at other screen resolutions than 512x256, should also manage to set those metrics in these locations. And no shame should devolve on a programmer who used something like the following code - and then produced the wrong answer! Right? ;)
Well, I think sys_clnk is only set by SMSQ/E and my versions of the PE (>=v2), the original TT QDOS versions don't set it. That's why the original SCR_YLIM uses iop.slnk to get the linkage block. But if you can live with that I don't think any shame should be put upon you ;)

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

mk79 wrote:
pjw wrote:So anyone enterprising enough to make Qdos display at other screen resolutions than 512x256, should also manage to set those metrics in these locations. And no shame should devolve on a programmer who used something like the following code - and then produced the wrong answer! Right? ;)
Well, I think sys_clnk is only set by SMSQ/E and my versions of the PE (>=v2), the original TT QDOS versions don't set it. That's why the original SCR_YLIM uses iop.slnk to get the linkage block. But if you can live with that I don't think any shame should be put upon you ;)
No, I dont think I could live down the shame, so I'll do the honourable thing and use iop.slnk where dinosaurs are likely to be met with. Thanks to you (and others) for your help!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

mk79 wrote:
RalfR wrote:How was this checked with the Extended Mode 4 emulator on Atari? I can't remember as I have never used without PE.
Is there an extended mode 4 emulator without the PE? I never had one, but I don't think so.
I have 2 x Extended 4, Mode 8 emulator boards, the SMSQ/E software supplied all had the Pointer Environment built in.

However, SMSQ for the QXL can change the screen resolution to: 640x350, 640x480, 800x600 and does not have the Pointer Environment built in it has to be loaded in in separate files: PTR_GEN, WMAN, HOT_REXT.

This was added in SMSQ/E which adds an extra screen mode.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:However, SMSQ for the QXL can change the screen resolution to: 640x350, 640x480, 800x600 and does not have the Pointer Environment built in it has to be loaded in in separate files: PTR_GEN, WMAN, HOT_REXT.
Ah, yes, that is true. I don't think anybody still has the source code to SMSQ and I'm too lazy to boot up a real machine, so no idea on what that screen driver is based on and what interfaces/variables it provides. But it, too, is a very esoteric platform.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I have 2 x Extended 4, Mode 8 emulator boards, the SMSQ/E software supplied all had the Pointer Environment built in.
When I have got my Extended Mode 4 emulator, there was just Level-C driver, later came Level-D driver and then I have got an alpha/beta Level-E disk from TT, which was the first Level with an inbuilt PE, but I do not think, that it was SMSQ/E, perhaps a pre-SMSQ/E.

The first SMSQ/E came, when I bought the QVME in Eindhoven.

4E75 7000