Front End/Icon Environment

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Front End/Icon Environment

Post by mselkin »

Does anyone want to provide their opinion on the most attractive front end/icon driven environment?
I have a standard QL, with a tetroid disk interface and vMap. I would like to keep that setup as it provides the functionality of both real microdrives, virtual microdrives, floppy disks and a CF card as a virtual hard disk.
However, the only drawback, is that the tetroid card will not allow use of the ROM port, so I cannot use an ICE plugin ROM. (I really like the look of it though).
I'm just interested in everyone's comments/opinions.

Tesla
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: Front End/Icon Environment

Post by Tesla »

For me no doubt, the best front end icon driven is Launchpad by Dilwyn Jones.
If you are a lover of the old fashion style of ICE environment, Launchpad reminds it emough. but it's much better.
It has all the features that you want.
It's not bad Cueshell also, but, imho, it's less user friendly.

Greetings

mselkin
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by mselkin »

Thank you.

Is it available for download?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mselkin wrote:Thank you.

Is it available for download?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If referring to Launchpad, it's now freeware and can be downloaded here: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/gen/launchpad/launchpad.html

That page is an info page, but there is a link to the download page.

There are two versions of Launchpad. Version 1 runs on a system with pointer environment, expanded memory and toolkit 2. Like many graphical front ends it uses a lot of memory (one use for your expanded memory QL perhaps?)

Version 2 needs Window Manager 2 in addition to the above.

If using a QDOS system with expanded memory and pointer environment, I'd recommend version 1, slightly less demanding of the system, since version 2 needs Window Manager 2 (which equates to SMSQ/E v3.00 or later, or at a push, QDOS with pointer environment v2.00 or later).

genetika
Over Heated PSU

Post by genetika »

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

mselkin wrote:Does anyone want to provide their opinion on the most attractive front end/icon driven environment?
I have a standard QL, with a tetroid disk interface and vMap. I would like to keep that setup as it provides the functionality of both real microdrives, virtual microdrives, floppy disks and a CF card as a virtual hard disk.
However, the only drawback, is that the tetroid card will not allow use of the ROM port, so I cannot use an ICE plugin ROM. (I really like the look of it though).
I'm just interested in everyone's comments/opinions.
I have run ICE in an emulator with TK2 ROM also loaded so I wonder if there's a way to get around the Tedroid disk interface using ROM...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

genetika wrote:LAUNCHPAD in action ! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-F49tVfPg
Thanks - nice to see a video of my software in action.