Best way to transfer ZIPped software to a Gotek

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
llopis
ROM Dongle

Best way to transfer ZIPped software to a Gotek

Post by llopis »

I got a Gotek working with the Kempston floppy disk interface, but I'm having a hard time finding much software in floppy disk image format (img).

The majority seems to be zipped files that would go directly in the QL. What's the best way to pack those in a floppy disk image to use it from a Gotek? Or is that even not a feasible thing to do because most things will assume they're running from mdv1_?

I did give qltools a quick go but I had a hard time compiling it for MacOS. If that's the only way I can try using a Linux virtual box. Any better ways?

Related to that: I noticed that there are floppy-specific versions of Psion software programs: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/psions/index.html but even those are not in img format! How come?

Thanks!

Cristian
Aurora

Re: Best way to transfer ZIPped software to a Gotek

Post by Cristian »

By the way, given the problems of file headers corruption when unpacked outside Qdos, I still cannot explain the proliferation of .zip archives (for extremely little files moreover).
I don’t know if mine is the best way, however I find convenient to utilize Qemulator: it can read the .zip archives and copy the files directly into a floppy disk image.

llopis
ROM Dongle

Post by llopis »

Cristian wrote:I don’t know if mine is the best way, however I find convenient to utilize Qemulator: it can read the .zip archives and copy the files directly into a floppy disk image.
You know, I tried that, but I couldn't even get Q-Emulator to load an .img file. Is it in the Microdrive menu? I see the options for folder, floppy (the real thing, not an image), zip and MDV. How do I add a floppy image?

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

llopis wrote:
Cristian wrote:I don’t know if mine is the best way, however I find convenient to utilize Qemulator: it can read the .zip archives and copy the files directly into a floppy disk image.
You know, I tried that, but I couldn't even get Q-Emulator to load an .img file. Is it in the Microdrive menu? I see the options for folder, floppy (the real thing, not an image), zip and MDV. How do I add a floppy image?
I expect that means it only works/is visible on the registered version. It's certainly there for me and I'm registered, but I can't remember what extra features are added when you register it with Daniele.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Chr$ wrote:
llopis wrote:
I expect that means it only works/is visible on the registered version. It's certainly there for me and I'm registered, but I can't remember what extra features are added when you register it with Daniele.
Yes, registered version only, on page 12 of manual (for v3.3.1 at least).

Also, you can't mount Zip files on the unregistered version.

List of other things not in unregistered version, copied from manual
2.2 “Expanded QL” mode Features
Registering Q-emuLator activates more features:
• Full emulation speed (exact speed depends on your PC speed), many times faster than a real QL
• Up to 16MB of QL RAM
• Support for subdirectories (”Level 2” file system)
• Map microdrive slots to QXL.WIN files
• Mount ZIP files as read-only drives
• Access floppy disk images
• Compatibility with recent versions of SMSQ/e for the Gold/Super Gold Cards1
• Built-in ram disk
• Mouse support (when the Pointer Environment or SMSQ/E is installed)
• Printer emulation
• Parallel ports
• Acceleration of some QDOS graphics routines
• Fast screen mode for legacy systems (Shift+F12 - only available on Windows XP or earlier)
• QL Sampled Sound System.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Yes, correct: the registered version. Click on a mdv slot to attach a .zip archive, then click on another slot to mount/create a flp image

llopis
ROM Dongle

Post by llopis »

Ah, that makes sense. I did read through the registered version features, but must have missed that when I saw you could mount disks.

Anyway, I just got qltools to compile, so that's even better since that way I don't have to deal with going through a GUI app. I'm looking forward to finally trying the Gotek now.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

Another way to create FLP images is to use the FDI extensions by Martin Head, this allows creation, mounting of FLP images.

I use FDI in all FLP image files on the Q68, it works really well and is compatable with other FLP image options on QL emulators.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

llopis wrote:Related to that: I noticed that there are floppy-specific versions of Psion software programs: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/psions/index.html but even those are not in img format! How come?
Floppy images somehow never played a major role in the QL world. Might be because my QPC emulator didn't support them for a long time and native hardware people didn't have much use for them either. But you can fill them now using QPC or (I think) SMSQmulator. Both run on Mac, QPC through Wine and SMSQmulator through Java.

Nowadays it probably makes more sense to supply harddrive images instead (".WIN"), as those have been in use for 25 years in emulators and can now also be used with native hardware through QL-SD, Q68 etc.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mk79 wrote:
llopis wrote:Related to that: I noticed that there are floppy-specific versions of Psion software programs: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/psions/index.html but even those are not in img format! How come?
Floppy images somehow never played a major role in the QL world. Might be because my QPC emulator didn't support them for a long time and native hardware people didn't have much use for them either. But you can fill them now using QPC or (I think) SMSQmulator. Both run on Mac, QPC through Wine and SMSQmulator through Java.

Nowadays it probably makes more sense to supply harddrive images instead (".WIN"), as those have been in use for 25 years in emulators and can now also be used with native hardware through QL-SD, Q68 etc.
Thanks to Cristian, there are now .img versions of Abacus 2.35, Archive 2.38, Easel 2.35 and Quill 2.35 on the Psi on programs page on my site http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/psions/index.html.

There are blank .img files for 720KB and 1.4MB elsewhere on the website.

Since .img files are fixed size files, I won't be doubling up the size of my website with endless .img copies of things (most programs will leave a lot of empty space in the images, while some won't even fit in), I made an exception for the Psion programs as they are usually the first things new QL users go for.