Q68 QoE Ethernet Driver

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Q68 QoE Ethernet Driver

Post by mk79 »

Despite the size the source looks very tidy, well done. If you ever want to split it up I suggest using QMake, it does all the work of assembling and linking for you, all you need is a linker file. A _link file for QMake can be as simple as

Code: Select all

program dos1_QoENet_bin

section code

input dos1_QoENet_rel
for starters. Just give that to QMake as the command file and hit "Do". As your code is very structured anyway it can easily be split up, I took the liberty of extracting the language part as an example in the attached ZIP. Use or disregard at your leisure :-)
Attachments
qoenet.zip
(104.89 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Peter wrote:As for a single sourcefile to ease linking: Do you have a specific problem with QLINK, or just not the time to look at an example how to do it?
I've just never got around to looking into how to do it. I quite like having everything in one assembly file, so it's easier to search through. Rather than having to search several files to find something. But the source is getting a bit large, and could probably do with splitting up a bit.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Here's an update of the driver. No new content, just bug fixes.

I've recently made some changes to my broadband setup. So I can now test the Q68, actually online.

And I noticed a couple of bugs and omissions in the driver.

The DHCP request was not sending the servers IP address back. This did not bother my stand-alone setup, but showed up in my new broadband arrangement.

ETH_PING was using the wrong ICMP destination IP address, and not waiting for an ARP reply. Also I had forgotten to handle the special case IP addresses of 0.0.0.0, 255.255.255.255, and 127.0.0.1
Attachments
QoENet043.zip
(369.89 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

QLvsJAGUAR
Gold Card

Post by QLvsJAGUAR »

Martin_Head wrote:Here's an update of the driver. No new content, just bug fixes.
Just right now, I'm in the process to update Q68QoE in QL/E from version 0.20 to 0.43. Tests to follow later on today after all pending updates to QL/E's boot are completed (including IPBasic version 1.05).
To keep a WIN file system well organised, I request the driver file name to be changed from QOENET_bin (was Q68NET_bin) to Q68QoE_cde. This for two reasons:
1. Having all Q68 binaries a file name starting with Q68
2. Having all of Martin’s network binaries a file name ending with _cde

Thank you for the great dedication and work.

QL forever!
https://www.sinclairql.net/ - Go and get THE DISTRIBUTION & QL/E!
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR/community - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR - Dedicated QL videos
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE, NeXT, MiST & much more...
Videos, pictures & information
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

QLvsJAGUAR wrote:
Martin_Head wrote:Here's an update of the driver. No new content, just bug fixes.
Just right now, I'm in the process to update Q68QoE in QL/E from version 0.20 to 0.43. Tests to follow later on today after all pending updates to QL/E's boot are completed (including IPBasic version 1.05).
To keep a WIN file system well organised, I request the driver file name to be changed from QOENET_bin (was Q68NET_bin) to Q68QoE_cde. This for two reasons:
1. Having all Q68 binaries a file name starting with Q68
2. Having all of Martin’s network binaries a file name ending with _cde

Thank you for the great dedication and work.
By habit, I tend to use _cde. But with this driver, It's the first time I've used the QMAC assembler. And it adds the _bin for you.

Changing the name to Q68QoE could make sense, as It would differentiate it between any other versions of the QoE driver for other hardware.

I will bear it in mind the next time I do any work on the driver.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

If you think about name change, I would reconsider "QoE". It stood for "QLNET over ethernet" as the original idea was to primitively send QL network packets over ethernet. This is long obsolete as it has become a TCPI/IP stack plus ethernet driver.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I'm open to suggestions for a name from anyone...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I am not that bothered what file is called, I usually change the file name on my setup.

But:
Peter wrote:If you think about name change, I would reconsider "QoE". It stood for "QLNET over ethernet" as the original idea was to primitively send QL network packets over ethernet. This is long obsolete as it has become a TCPI/IP stack plus ethernet driver.
If QoE is as described above, then QoE, QoENET or even QOENET does not decribe the driver.

How about: Q68_ETH_DVR_xxx_cde

where: xxx is the version number

Regards,

Derek