SLUG values and SGC

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

SLUG values and SGC

Post by lowrybt »

Hello,

I'm trying to get Microdeals QL Flight simulator to run with a SGC. RES_128 is required. Ok. Everytime I roll down the runaway, I reach the far end of the field before I can pull back on the yoke. I've tried SLUG at 40 and 150 with no measurable improvement. Any recommendations other than pulling the SGC card?
TB

dden
ROM Dongle

Re: SLUG values and SGC

Post by dden »

lowrybt wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to get Microdeals QL Flight simulator to run with a SGC. RES_128 is required. Ok. Everytime I roll down the runaway, I reach the far end of the field before I can pull back on the yoke. I've tried SLUG at 40 and 150 with no measurable improvement. Any recommendations other than pulling the SGC card?
TB
Slug works by putting a delay in the keyboard read loop. Whichis fine in most cases unless the program uses the equivalent of KEYROW (as opposed to INKEY$), where there is nowhere to slow down the program using this technique. Never used that flight sim so I may be totally wrong here - I'd suggest alternative slowdown software such as Slowgold on Dilwyn's site. It works in different ways to SLUG so may work in cases where SLUG doesn't. On the other hand, it may make the software less smooth as it will be a general slowdown, not just keyboard response.

Get it from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/utils/index.html

David
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Slowgold works by inserting a task into the polled interrupt list and slows the entire system that way.

Read the docs as some values used to cause extreme slowdown due to the interrupt still running when called again. At least, I think I remember that being the cause. It worked fine with all the programs I tested it on, back in 1991!

Source code is supplied in the zip file on Dilwyn's site.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dden
ROM Dongle

Post by dden »

I should have noted that as Slowgold requires installation of a little bit of code, it may interfere with the amount of free memory, and possibly memory layout, after a RES_128. In theory, if the flight simulator has position-dependent code, it may have a bearing.

Another possibility may be to use QemuLator in 128K mode set to QL speed to run the software if you have access to a PC?

David
lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by lowrybt »

Many thanks for all of the guidance. I'll report back on how things go. Tom