Flightdeck program

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Flightdeck program

Post by bwinkel67 »

RWAP wrote: Even worse is that Q-emulator does not display the screen properly under JSU ROM either!
Because of the NTSC signal, the JSU ROM in TV mode pushes up the display for all three channels so the display looks somewhat normal on a TV (i.e. we get a similar TV picture on bootup than UK JS ROM's get) and its character set is narrower from top to bottom by two pixels (less space between lines). The display doesn't use anything on the bottom, or if it does, a US TV won't ever show it so the picture gets cut off. Note though in monitor mode the JSU ROM behaves like the JS ROM and uses the wider characters.

Does Flightdeck run in TV mode?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

bwinkel67 wrote:
RWAP wrote: Even worse is that Q-emulator does not display the screen properly under JSU ROM either!
Because of the NTSC signal, the JSU ROM in TV mode pushes up the display for all three channels so the display looks somewhat normal on a TV (i.e. we get a similar TV picture on bootup than UK JS ROM's get) and its character set is narrower from top to bottom by two pixels (less space between lines). The display doesn't use anything on the bottom, or if it does, a US TV won't ever show it so the picture gets cut off. Note though in monitor mode the JSU ROM behaves like the JS ROM and uses the wider characters.

Does Flightdeck run in TV mode?
The screen was designed so that Flightdeck works ok on a TV - the bits of the screen outside the visible area do not matter.

A lot of games software used the full 512x256 pixel display, but adopted the same approach - ensure that anything that mattered fits within 488x240

lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by lowrybt »

I believe my Philips HDMI LCDTV can run in 50hz mode. I have a spare QL (UK/Euro version) for parts but it worked when purchased 5 years ago. Possibly, if hooked up to my US QL PSU, and a SCART I could run the software without issue, right?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

lowrybt wrote:I believe my Philips HDMI LCDTV can run in 50hz mode. I have a spare QL (UK/Euro version) for parts but it worked when purchased 5 years ago. Possibly, if hooked up to my US QL PSU, and a SCART I could run the software without issue, right?
Yes that would not be an issue.

From memory doesn't the US QL have a switch underneath the TV modulator to switch between 50Hz and 60Hz - so if you replaced the ROMs for UK ROMs, it should then also work

EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

RWAP wrote:
lowrybt wrote:I believe my Philips HDMI LCDTV can run in 50hz mode. I have a spare QL (UK/Euro version) for parts but it worked when purchased 5 years ago. Possibly, if hooked up to my US QL PSU, and a SCART I could run the software without issue, right?
Yes that would not be an issue.

From memory doesn't the US QL have a switch underneath the TV modulator to switch between 50Hz and 60Hz - so if you replaced the ROMs for UK ROMs, it should then also work
But you wouldn't be able to change the rate of the electricity mains supply!

EmmBee