Insane Original Games etc prices

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Insane Original Games etc prices

Post by Chr$ »

A couple of hardcore QLers have been spending large amounts on original QL games (on mdv and disk) and on original expansions lately over on eBay. Which is good, as a lot of things are genuinely pretty rare, even though the number of collectors is probably quite limited.

One seller in particular has had quite a few interesting and very original items on lately, including these sales:

Boxed original Gold card - Sold £239.00
Boxed original Trump card - Sold £54.00
QXL card with disks and instruction leaflet - Sold £276.00
Boxed and very complete looking Fleet Tactical Command - £316.00
Three boxed Merz games on disk - Sold £88.00
Meteor Storm, Reversi, Cavern, Fictionary boxed games - Sold £109.66
Pair of software development kits by Metacomco - Sold £255.00
QL-Touch ‘n’ Go, QL-Home Finance, QL-Entrepreneur boxed with big manuals - Sold £127.00
12 Boxed games on mdv incl. Hyperdrive, Lands of Havoc, Steve Davis snooker etc - Sold £411.00
6 games on floppy partly with instructions - Brain Smasher, The Oracle Hyperhelp for Basic, Return to Eden, Solvit-Plus 2 by Geoff Wicks, Question Master by CB Storey - Sold £255.00

Incredible! I must admit I may have nabbed a couple of the items but I was mostly outbid as it was totally bonkers and you can't get carried away (although I probably did)!

Was the seller someone on here or someone known to anyone? Did anyone else bid or win anything (you don't have to be specific if you don't want to).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Insane Original Games etc prices

Post by vanpeebles »

That’s the first Fleet Tactical I’ve seen for sale!

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

vanpeebles wrote:That’s the first Fleet Tactical I’ve seen for sale!
In roughly how many years? I see elsewhere that you have it all already. Were the disks copy protected in an awkward fashion?

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Chr$ wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:That’s the first Fleet Tactical I’ve seen for sale!
In roughly how many years? I see elsewhere that you have it all already. Were the disks copy protected in an awkward fashion?
Around 10, I got mine years ago with a wanted ad in Quanta. Yes, I managed to image them using a special disk copier on my Acorn :)

Gbrigden
ROM Dongle

Post by Gbrigden »

I have to say I did bid on a couple and won one of the items.
Just getting back into using a QL after selling my original boxed one several years back, for peanuts I might add.
Thought I'd try and get another and did, but paid almost twice as much for an unboxed one with 'issues' and plastic bits missing.
I am watching other items and will no doubt buy more but budget spent for the next month or three so will focus on what I do have although no software yet or a way in which to save anything.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Gbrigden wrote:I have to say I did bid on a couple and won one of the items.
Just getting back into using a QL after selling my original boxed one several years back, for peanuts I might add.
Thought I'd try and get another and did, but paid almost twice as much for an unboxed one with 'issues' and plastic bits missing.
I am watching other items and will no doubt buy more but budget spent for the next month or three so will focus on what I do have although no software yet or a way in which to save anything.
I think even over the last year or so boxed ones with original bits have certainly gone up in value if a little inconsistently, at least on ebay, where they sell for anything between £170 to £400+ and the £400+ one wasn't even working properly! You can never rule out shill bidding on ebay and I think probably £250-£300 is about right for boxed working BBQLs without any special features or rare extras at the moment.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Plus you can build one from parts. There was a working motherboard end of last month for £49.99 plus £33 shipping that I should have grabbed up but first sent an email about shipping...D'oh. Then you can just buy a case for it (which i have sans keys/keyboard) and put it together or grab a broken QL that sometimes pop up for cheap (currently one for starting bit of $70 plus $40 shipping from Egypt). I really regret not having grabbed the motherboard though to have one to tinker with :x

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

bwinkel67 wrote:Plus you can build one from parts. There was a working motherboard end of last month for £49.99 plus £33 shipping that I should have grabbed up but first sent an email about shipping...D'oh. Then you can just buy a case for it (which i have sans keys/keyboard) and put it together or grab a broken QL that sometimes pop up for cheap (currently one for starting bit of $70 plus $40 shipping from Egypt). I really regret not having grabbed the motherboard though to have one to tinker with :x
That must work out more expensive than finding a working one or at least an almost working one? PSU, microdrives, motherboard (populated with its chips preferably), both case parts, heatsink, the plastic expansion doors, feet - I bet not all of those things are available all the time. I managed to source both case parts to use to house a Pi but it was a bit of a mission. And then you have to hope they all work together. Top case without the keys... surely to get all the keys for it the easiest thing is to find another top with the keys :?

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

For me shipping would kind of kill that anyways. With a working motherboard at $60 and broken QL at $70 (if it sells for that) it wouldn't be so bad (it's just missing some keys)...but shipping adds another $70 or so...yes, no power but maybe building my own and replacing the power connector on the board might be reasonably cost-effective -- with it in pieces I wouldn't mind as much making mods like that vs taking a perfectly working machine and doing so.

Me personally, I just wanted the motherboard to tinker with as I have one BBQL and don't really want a second. Plus I have a Q68 that I haven't even explored too much yet -- still waiting to get access to 3-D printers again to build a case. But powering up a board and getting it to work might be fun...also to test things like maybe creating that new power supply or an internal RAM expansion before having to re-open the one I have, etc... I have that bare clean case (bottom and top) because I wanted to do molds this summer to try and create a new case in different color but with COVID-19 I haven't been able to get to school were I was going to try it all in our lab space. I plan is to put it back in circulation once I have the molds since I likely won't use it otherwise and the case is UK style and pristine.

But yes, on eBay you can find a working set with everything for around $250 with shipping (just perused the completed listings section).