GST 68K cartridges preservation

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
M68008
Trump Card

GST 68K cartridges preservation

Post by M68008 »

It would be good to preserve microdrive images of the GST 68K cartridges, although their different format means that existing QL utilities won't work with them.

Dilwyn's site has copies of the programs extracted from the cartridges, apparently created by Dex.
I took a look at them and I was able to reverse engineer some info about the cartridge format (excactly 100 1-KB sectors per microdrive, each with a sector header), but the files collected by Dex seem to be missing bytes here and there. Either the GST OS performs some weird reshuffling of the files when loading them into memory or - perhaps more likely - those files are corrupted. This could happen if bytes were lost during the serial transmission. If that's the case, there are no preserved copies of the utilities beyond the original microdrives.

I have a number of ideas on how to dump these cartridges, but I don't have the cartridges themselves... would anybody that owns those cartridges be interested in helping me to create images of the entire microdrives?

Thanks!

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: GST 68K cartridges preservation

Post by mk79 »

Sure. Many many years ago I started extracting the MDV code out of 68k/OS to make images, but this was pre-QL-SD, file handling was difficult and ultimatively I ran out of interest and time. I probably need to re-felt them, but then I can try to help.

Cheers, Marcel

M68008
Trump Card

Re: GST 68K cartridges preservation

Post by M68008 »

Thank you Marcel, let me know when you've re-felted them.

Daniele