Thing Removal

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Thing Removal

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If I load the QDasm assembler Thing by LRESPRing the file QDASM_REXT, this creates a Thing called QDasm to compike assembler source from QD.

Since the Thing is loaded without a hotkey associated with it, HOT_REMV does not remove the Thing, does any one know how to remove a Thing that does not have a Hotkey associated with it?

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Thing Removal

Post by pjw »

Use TH_REMV or TH_FRMV from the Thing_rext toolkit. The only, wee, problem is: I dont know were you get that toolkit these days! Originally, I bought it from from JMS. I dont know its status, otherwise Id send it to you. Does anyone know? Its a very useful toolkit.

Alternatively, you could write your own code in assembler. Depending on your SMSQ/E knowhow, ts not hard. Its just a call to the relevant trap, (or trap emulation code. Im not sure whether the trap was added to SMSQ/E in the end).

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

It is in one (or both) of QLE or Black Phoenix. I'm not sure whether it is public domain, but it is there. Unfortunately, I can't check which it is in at the moment.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

If this is a utility Jochen wrote himself then it's okay to give it away now (he gave me the authority to decide).

Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Post by Artificer »

There are 3 different Thing extensions in circulation.

2 are on QLE, which includes in the sys folder the thing _ext extension v2.17 written by Jochen Merz, code size 4096 bytes, alongside it in the same folder is Thing_rext which comes in at 1920 bytes, v0.5, no authorship attributed, but appears to be identical to the thing_rext distributed with C68 and finally a THING_rext of 2096 bytes length, no authorship attributed in the file, which I found on my hard disk, no idea where it came from.

Cheers

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

The one I have has © 1989-98 Jochen Merz V3.02 embedded. I presume that means he wrote it. However, without the manual its not that useful. I have the printed manual, but it is in deep storage 500km away over the snowy mountains, so I cant help with that. I can pass the toolkit on to Dilwyn, if he'll take it.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

pjw wrote:The one I have has © 1989-98 Jochen Merz V3.02 embedded. I presume that means he wrote it. However, without the manual its not that useful. I have the printed manual, but it is in deep storage 500km away over the snowy mountains, so I cant help with that. I can pass the toolkit on to Dilwyn, if he'll take it.
Yes, of course I'll take it, especially if someone has documentation to go with it.

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

Not sure where I got this from but here is my PDF copy
Attachments
Thing Extension V3.pdf
(57.99 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Thank you for the information and update.

I read JonS attached manual, which slso coverd the Thing_rext v2.17 from QL/E, which is good I thought I had to start programming again.

Amother question with regards to Things, if a Thing creates child thing and this child thing creates jobs to perform tasks relating to the child thing. Is the correct way to remove the child thing, to close the jobs, then remove the child thing use the thing id?

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

JonS wrote:Not sure where I got this from but here is my PDF copy
Thats the one. Great!
I think this toolkit came as part of a collection of utilities called QSUP.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?