Digital C

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Digital C

Post by bwinkel67 »

Tried it and still doesn't work. It still keeps flashing:

https://vimeo.com/396201560

Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Post by Artificer »

Hi,

I have recompiled some of my old Digital C programs and _console() works fine. No extra windows. Stupid question are you using the -nc command on the parser command line as without that a digital c compiled program will open a window for command input regardless of the redefinition of windows by _console() before doing anything else.

Cheers

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I believe the -nc is during the cg (code generator) no the cc (parser) but yes, I am using it.

Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Post by Artificer »

Hi,
My mistake you are correct about -nc.

Still it is a puzzle.

Cheers

Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Post by Artificer »

Hi,

I have taken 2 snippets of c from the above discussion and compiled them with digital C on a Q68. They both run and display a defined initial window whithout producing any false windows as far as I can see. Try them out and see if they work on your system.

Cheers
CBITS.ZIP
(3.23 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Perhaps it's QLAY2 and how it displays the graphics. I should use my original QL and compile this...probably TERM which is the smaller of the two.

I have a second question, I could not remember how to link together 4 _c files (did it successfully in the 90's). I had my Digital C on mdv2_ and the source on mdv1_ and had configured Digital C to use mdv2_ as it's home directory (via the config program). I also copied the _h file to both mdv1_ and mdv2_ to be safe (and cc never complained). Here is how I ran the cc compiles:

exec mdv2_cc;"mdv1_cmd_c" <- that worked
exec mdv2_cc;"mdv1_aux_c" <- that worked
exec mdv2_cc;"mdv1_expr_c" <- that worked

Then I tried various things with cg to no avail. Note that I copied all 3 _obj files back to mdv1 and made sure I had plenty of space (removing old _c files if necessary). My question is, how do I get it to link and code generate? Back in the 90's I had a floppy but I also recall doing it with mvd1_ and mdv2_.

Note that I'm using QLAY2 for this and haven't tried this on my actual QL (where I'd likely use mdv3 and mdv4 since I have a vDrive). The QLAY2 uses mdv2_ as its default directory (i.e. a dir without argument lists mdv2's content) which might be an artifact of TK2 that it loads.

For a single file I usually type this and it works:

exec mdv2_cg;"mdv1_cl mdv1_cl -nc"

Where cl_obj is just the concatenated file of cmd_c, aux_c, and expr_c which is ugly. Is the first argument the name of the executable? I think I've tried this and it didn't work:

exec mdv2_cg;"mdv1_cl_exe mdv1_cmd mdv1_aux mdv1_expr -nc"

Or do I need to put the executable name at the end?

exec mdv2_cg;"mdv1_cmd mdv1_aux mdv1_expr mdv1_cl_exe -nc"

I swear I tried all combos and just gave up...

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

I'm not sure why folks have gone with Qlay or Qlay2, as they both have had issues. I'd suggest moving to SMSQmulator. It's free, it works on all platforms, it supports qxl.win files, and it runs Small-C, DP C, GST C, and C68 with no issues.

Tim