Problems with unzip (5.32 or 5.41) on QLAY2

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Problems with unzip (5.32 or 5.41) on QLAY2

Post by bwinkel67 »

So I got unzip532 working under QLAY2 using "fix_unzip_bas" and then successfully uncompressed unzip541. However, I'm having a problem getting the -d option to work for either version. Both just say "checkdir: cannot create extraction director: mdv1_" where "mdv1_" can be replaced by anything. I have run QLA2 without the NFA.ROM and just the JS.ROM and TK2.ROM because for some programs I've discovered that NFA.ROM won't work. Still, even if I run it from "mdv1_" and want to point it to "mdv1_" it gives me that error. It only allows extraction into the "mdv2_" default directory seemingly making the -d option useless. Her is how I run it:

exec_w mdv1_unzip;"mdv1_sample_zip -d mdv1_"

Any suggestions?

Artificer
Over Heated PSU

Re: Problems with unzip (5.32 or 5.41) on QLAY2

Post by Artificer »

Hi
I don't know about the emulator you are using but my experience may years ago with the DP Collection with trying to unzip this on the Amiga QL emulator suggests that the problem could be the file you want to unzip. If the file has a device name embeded as part of the file name in the zip archive then with the DP zip archives it was not possible to unzip to an alternative target device until the archive file name was edited to change the device name in the archive to the one that you want to unzip to. Have you examine the zip archive or tried another zip file?

Cheers

EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

You could try ..
data_use mdv1_ : exec_w mdv1_unzip;"mdv1_sample_zip"
If the above fails, you could unzip to mdv2_ and copy the files across to mdv1_ using wcopy.

Interesting .. I have had the very problem that Artificer has mentioned. Regardless of what I tried, all the files insisted on going to ram3_ regardless.

EmmBee

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Artificer wrote:Hi
I don't know about the emulator you are using but my experience may years ago with the DP Collection with trying to unzip this on the Amiga QL emulator suggests that the problem could be the file you want to unzip. If the file has a device name embeded as part of the file name in the zip archive then with the DP zip archives it was not possible to unzip to an alternative target device until the archive file name was edited to change the device name in the archive to the one that you want to unzip to. Have you examine the zip archive or tried another zip file?

Cheers
My sample zip file (sample_zip) had a text file test_txt which just said Hello. I kept it as simple as possible.

I haven't tried it on my QL so perhaps the QLAY2 emulator is just causing issues.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I generally use unzip from the Achive Control Panel, which has been working for many years.

But sometimes I type the unzip command from Superbasic. Which the -d switch to drfine the extraction directory, comes first in the command line.

So the commad line: exec_w mdv1_unzip;"mdv1_sample_zip -d mdv1_"

Becomes: exec_w mdv1_unzip;"-dmdv1_ mdv1_sample_zip"

I am not sure if the position of the the command switches make a difference, but I always put them at the start of the command string.

The DP Collection has been created with a device name "flp2_" prefixing each file in the zip archive.

So unziping the file will goto FLP2_

Clearly DP did not understand how to create zip files.

I usually, unzip the DP Collection to a system that has not got an FLP device which gives a files uncompressed with a prefix of flp2_

Or just redefine the flp device.

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:So the commad line: exec_w mdv1_unzip;"mdv1_sample_zip -d mdv1_"

Thanks for the info. I did try it both ways. I'm guessing it's a QLAY2 issue.

EmmBee
Trump Card

Post by EmmBee »

bwinkel67 wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:So the commad line: exec_w mdv1_unzip;"mdv1_sample_zip -d mdv1_"

You could try using ew instead of exec_w, and also try ex. These tk2 commands are supposed to be improvements on the original commands.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

EmmBee wrote:
bwinkel67 wrote:

You could try using ew instead of exec_w, and also try ex. These tk2 commands are supposed to be improvements on the original commands.
I had a quick browse through the zip source codes. Apparently, a "stat" call on mdv2_ is failing, so the QL thinks mdv2_ is not there and tries to create it - That obviously fails as well.

So the problem is either in the C68 libc (unlikely, as it tends to work everywhere else) or in the emulator. I'd suspect the latter.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO