Catchjack by Joan Pratt (1992)

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Catchjack by Joan Pratt (1992)

Post by RWAP »

I have just come across the game Catchjack written in SuperBASIC, by Joan Pratt in 1992.

I don't know the copyright status on this, but believe it was owned by someone that recently passed away. I am checking with the family that sold me the items.

It is quite a neat little game whereby you have to use an identikit to identify a suspect.

I will upload it if I can verify the author!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Catchjack by Joan Pratt (1992)

Post by vanpeebles »

Sounds interesting! Any screenshots?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Actually I have found 3 versions of the game, there is one version (Catchjack) said to be (c) Joan Pratt and two versions (Identity and Identify) said to be (c) Ernst

Looking at the disks, there are Quill documents with letters under both the names Joan and Ernst so it does look as though all this belonged to them at some stage.

Maybe they were thinking of sending it into QL World (didn't that fold around 1992?)

The game is based in London 1888, so presumably it is based on catching Jack the Ripper.

Anyway screenshots
Setting the atmosphere of Catchjack
Setting the atmosphere of Catchjack
catchjack-screenshot1.gif (7.19 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
Using the identikit to try and match the suspect
Using the identikit to try and match the suspect
catchjack-screenshot2.gif (10.25 KiB) Viewed 6026 times

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have now received a response from the family to confirm that Joan and Ernst have both passed away and that they feel Joan would have been really pleased to know that the game had been made available for public access.

I have therefore attached a zip file containing all 3 versions - Dilwyn, could you please add this to the QL Homepage for download.
Attachments
catchjack.zip
Catchjack (a case of Identity) by Joan Pratt 1992
(15.41 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:I have therefore attached a zip file containing all 3 versions - Dilwyn, could you please add this to the QL Homepage for download.
Done, thanks.
Dilwyn

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Top work Rich and thanks to their family for allowing access. It's quite a nifty little game with a great idea and the graphics are put to good use as well. My first score was poor but I did better on the next go. I looked but did not observe!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I can't quite work out if there is any difference between the three versions....

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Well look what I found when perusing my magazine covers!

:update:

Having got out the relevant magazine I looked up the program listing, these are the findings:

The listing Catch Jack is in the PROGS section
As far as I can ascertain the listings are identical to the one that boots up from the file except
there are two additional lines at 7000 a procedure SA for saving the file (no end def), and the REM lines for spacing using '=' are much longer in the listing than they are in the program
Jose Carlos de Prada is the name associated with the listing, it doesn't specifically say 'written by' or just 'by Jose Carlos de Prada' as it has done in previous 'Prog' listings in other issues of the magazine.

There is no indication if anyone else wrote the program, there is nothing in the rem statements to indicate wrote wrote it, so Jose may be the programmer or he may be the editor of the Prog section. The next 8 issues did not contain any Prog sections or addendum or errata so it is difficult to say who actually is the writer of the program Catch Jack.
Attachments
QL USER 1992
QL USER 1992
Last edited by Mr_Navigator on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Ah - who is the author for the program though?