Announcing availability of a QLNET driver for the Q68 (ND-Q68)

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Announcing availability of a QLNET driver for the Q68 (ND-Q68)

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dave,

I have not fitted any expansion port header to any Q68 boards so far.

But I was going rectify this by fitting a male header, but as you suggest maybe female header this best like this:
Not a 2x12 header, only shown for illustration
Not a 2x12 header, only shown for illustration
I was going to design a PCB for QL NET and I2C, but since you have done already, it makes sense to use your PCB.

I will look into a side entry power connector, but the power socket is very hard to desolder and would professional desoldering tools. There is a danger of damaging the power connector through plating. I can repair PCB through plating, if required.

The power switch only has enough cabling to reach the PCB socket from the switch. This would need extending.

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

That is the exact header I have. Some have the index key, some do not.

I decided to put the index key facing right, if present, because the other way it just touches the pins of the ethernet controller.

The power connector is fine where it is, and the power switch is really a convenience item. Putting a switch in the power cable might be an option? They have some nice ones for table lamps that are very economical. I deleted my power switch long ago and just put a jumper on the header.

If you'd like to use the PCB, I'll order a few extra and send them to you.

Someone did email and ask if I could include a through hole prototyping area to fill the rest of the case. Yes, that's doable.

I am talking with Martyn to put together a complete package, with the software and a little manual included, so everything is nicely integrated. Only catch is now 4GB SD cards cost the same as 128GB cards. Unfortunately, soldering will be required. I will also try to arrange a UK and EU location where you can have it installed for you, if you do not want to solder a 2mm header.

Derek is probably first in line for that. If Peter releases an updated FPGA core for Q68 with new features at any point in the future, maybe get the net ports installed and a reflash as a single service?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unverisal-AC ... 4672421c58

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Dave!
Dave wrote:Like this?
That'd do nicely!

(I'll reserve judgement on the other topics since discussed here - beyond my pay-grade to comment!)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I did some clean-up on it, and added some labels. I did a test fit and massaged the shape a little to stay clear of the power connector and supercap.
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 5.56.31 PM.png

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Weren't there plans for an alternative Q68 case? Maybe this is the right time to go for it! ;)

I'll probably probably place the jack sockets at the side of the case, as I don't like network on the front panel.
But that's individual tinkering, not a recommendation.

FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

My current plan is to install the QL NET PCB, (the one from Dave or something I will built myself), about 10 cm away from the Q68. Is there a problem having the three lines (3.3V, Ground and NET signal) 10 cm long ? As the length of NET cable between machines can be quite long, I don't see any issue, but I am no expert.

Francois

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

FrancoisLanciault wrote:. I need to finish printing my Q68 laptop casing anyway.
Hi Franois,

Do you have pictures of your Laptop Case?

Regards,

Derek
FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
FrancoisLanciault wrote:. I need to finish printing my Q68 laptop casing anyway.
Hi Franois,

Do you have pictures of your Laptop Case?
I Derek,

I was waiting to have the laptop working before talking about it but I might go ahead and start a new thread in a few days. All 3D models are on my job computer and I am on vacation. I will be able to post about it on Monday.

But just a teaser:

The laptop host two computers, a Q68 and a Raspberry Pi clone.
It has a KVM switch to switch from one to the other computer. The keyboard is a Cherry compact keyboard with integrated trackball.
It has a total of four screens: one 12in 1024x768 LCD, one intelligent Riverdi Touch screen, 4.3in 480x272 plus two 4x20 characters alphanumeric displays.
It as 4 LED 3 digits display, for live voltage and current verification.
And obviously, all the electronic parts/module needed to glue everything together.
The laptop is powered by a 7500mAh LIPO battery.

I have all electronics and I have printed 1/3 of the casing parts. I had a few surprises with the printed parts so some will need to be re-designed/ re-printed.

BTW have you ever received the 3D model of the Q68 casing I made ? I cannot find the mail in my forum account.

François

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

FrancoisLanciault wrote:My current plan is to install the QL NET PCB, (the one from Dave or something I will built myself), about 10 cm away from the Q68. Is there a problem having the three lines (3.3V, Ground and NET signal) 10 cm long ? As the length of NET cable between machines can be quite long, I don't see any issue, but I am no expert.

Francois
No, this would not be a problem.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Dave wrote:I did some clean-up on it, and added some labels. I did a test fit and massaged the shape a little to stay clear of the power connector and supercap.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 5.56.31 PM.png
Hi Dave,

It is pity you never listed proposals before performing all the work on the PCB design.

It looks to me after an examination of the Q68 PCB, the logical way would be to orientate the expansion board perpendicular to the front panel or in line witht he expansion connector, only 2 holes would be required in the side of the case wall. The Network Sockets could be connected to the Expansion PCB by a wire link to the PCB. This would allow assembly of the Q68 to remain the same.

The JTAG programming Pin Header could replaced by a 90 Degree Pin Header, But looking at the dimensions of the expansion board, there is enough space to for all the expansion facilities.

The advantage of this solution, is that the front of the Q68 stays the same, there is still use of the power button rather having it at the side.

But I am sure you will come up with all sorts of reasons why this should be done but I am reluctant to have the power switch at the side or an inline power switch on the power cable.

This is introducing non standard approach to the Q68 design.

Clearly a new case is required, I will start a new thread concerning a new case design.

Regards,

Derek