Knoware.no

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Knoware.no

Post by pjw »

Just to let you know that Knoware is up and running again after ten years or so of being nowhere. While I hope there will be something of interest for anyone interested in the QL and derivatives in general, its main interest will be for those of us who like to write programs for it and generally mess around with the software.
www.knoware.no/

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Knoware.no

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Per,

Cool web site.

Is QOMBI available for download. I been playing on the Q68 every day.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Per,

Cool web site.

Is QOMBI available for download. I been playing on the Q68 every day.
Thanks, Derek :)
Sure. The latest version of QOMBI should be under Games. Good to know it works on Q68, too!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Good to see the site back up and running - it gives a nice collection of utilities and games for the QL.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

RWAP wrote:Good to see the site back up and running - it gives a nice collection of utilities and games for the QL.
Theres more to come, but now Im off to the wilds for a couple of weeks.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Enjoy the wilds, Per - your refreshed site is a great research!

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

martyn_hill wrote:Enjoy the wilds, Per - your refreshed site is a great research!
Thanks! :)
Also: First bug report has arrived. Excellent!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Post by Giorgio Garabello »

I have explored almost all of your site and I found a lot of ideas ... prepared for my mails !!!

Giorgio

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Back from the wild west! I managed to get the odd glimpse of the goings on in QL Forum, but wasnt able to respond, as the Internet out there is too slow and dodgy. On my return, checking the stats of my website, I realised (yet again) that people here, despite what they say, arent really interested in software, particularly nothing produced this millennium!

Despite that, Im going ahead with this update to my website. The thing is: Publishing stuff, and pretending that some bright and critical people might cast a beady eye over my efforts, keeps me on my toes! It helps me organise, weed out dubious hacks, and kill bugs I wouldnt otherwise have noticed. Being an eternal optimist (on good days, at least) I imagine that some day someone other than me might enjoy, and who knows, even benefit, from my humble efforts or from my mistakes.

I wont give too many boring details here, just a summary:

I added some 30 keywords to my pick'n mix toolkit collection (ie to simply put together bespoke toolkits for any particular purpose)

1) String handling/parsing: QINSTR%, ALTSTR%, INSTR%, CD2TX$, TX2CD$, DETAB$, REVERSE$, UPPER$, LOWER$, REMOVE$, EXTRACT$, WILD, JUST$, PEEKSTR$, POKESTR$

2) Number handling: INTEGER%, INTEGER$, LONG, LONG$, FLOAT, FLOAT$, LIN2STR$ (convert numbers to and from internal format), FLT2HEX$, ODD, EVEN, and updated VALID% (now for all platforms).

3) Some more PE- and GD2- related keywords: PTRJID, PTRCHID, PTRJOBWIN (get details of a job under the pointer), GET_SSPR, SET_SSPR, GET_FSPR (deals with system sprites), RPIX%, RPIX24 (read pixels off window or screen).

More are in the pipeline. Not all of the above are for all platforms, but most are.

Some more, hopefully useful, S*BASIC routines to perform simple tasks or to include in programs. While I dont want to deprive anyone of the fun of figuring things out for themselves, sometimes you just want to get on with a project and may be glad of the hours of fiddle saved:

4) BlbCol: Simply make blobs any (RGB) colour on the fly; PokeDatW: Add binary data to a program; Magnify (simple, fast, screen magnifier); BlockFount (display characters in "any" size); Wrap (wrap and split lines of text).

5) I also added a small "utility": A PE date entry tool for use with programs.

Many items have also been updated: To remove bugs, hacks, shortcuts, weaknesses, and evolutionary dead-ends, and to improve documentation, to make stuff more robust for general use and abuse. Obviously, the danger with such major ructions is that Ive foxed things up, or introduced new bugs, so please let me know if you find anything..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Oops! I just re-read the previous comments on this thread: Any implied strictures in my last posting did not apply to those of you who kindly commented above :)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?