QLCOMMANDER - testers and help needed

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QLCOMMANDER - testers and help needed

Post by pjw »

Andrew wrote:jack - edit line 1030 (or 1040 in older version) to point to the directory where you installed the program
1030 IF ConfigDrv$='' THEN ConfigDrv$='win2_QLCOMMANDER_'
Or if youre using SMSQ/E do

Code: Select all

1030 IF ConfigDrv$='' THEN ConfigDrv$=HOME_DIR$
and youre unlikely ever to have to do it again ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

tofro wrote:
Andrew wrote:pjw - Thanks for the EasyPtr tip ! I will download it it and read the manuals.
I have a QL+SGC + QL-SD (but I have some very strange an unexplained issues with the QL-SD :cry: )
What version of QL-SD do you have? The original one was never working properly with the SGC, while Marcel's version of the PLD code seems to work fine now.

Tobias
I have Marcel's version. And I have some unexplained issues with it - cannot even find a way to constantly reproduce them.
It might be related to my very old QL - I have an early AH version that needed conversion to install the QL-SD.
I will start a new topic to present the issues.

Jack_Free
ROM Dongle

Post by Jack_Free »

pjw wrote:
Andrew wrote:jack - edit line 1030 (or 1040 in older version) to point to the directory where you installed the program
1030 IF ConfigDrv$='' THEN ConfigDrv$='win2_QLCOMMANDER_'
Or if youre using SMSQ/E do

Code: Select all

1030 IF ConfigDrv$='' THEN ConfigDrv$=HOME_DIR$
and youre unlikely ever to have to do it again ;)

Good work gentlemen,
The program works.
Thank you very much for your help.

I do not use SMSQ / E

Sinclair QL + SGC, Sinclair QL+QL-SD.
Excuse my English, I use google translator :-)
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

tofro wrote:What version of QL-SD do you have? The original one was never working properly with the SGC, while Marcel's version of the PLD code seems to work fine now.
He's got mine and he has got some troubles that I can only explain with Voodoo. For example he wrote some files using QemuLator onto the SD, but they didn't appear on the QL. Even after a reset they were still not there. Then, a day later, with apparently no other action in between, poof, they're there. I don't even have the inkling of a clue about what's going on, but will try to swap it with another hardware for good measure.

Marcel

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Sounds a bit like the experience I once had with a (very) fake Chinese SD card. Did you check another card?

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

I formated another card on Monday and started to install on it all that I had on the first card, this time using only QPC. Till now, it works if I use only QXL and RAM drives (no copying from DOS drives) but every time I put the card into the PC WIndows wants to check it for errors - and half of the time says it fixed some errors. I will try another card during the week-end, when I have some more free time.
The "no copying from DOS drives" is just because all files I have in DOS directories were used with QEmulator and most of them have a 30 bytes QDOS header added by QEmulator .
QPC is not deleting the header when copying these files on QXL drive - so I end up with unusable files on QL.
Last edited by Andrew on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Andrew wrote:but every time I put the card into the PC WIndows wants to check it for errors - and half of the time says it fixed some errors.
That it wants to check the drive for errors is quite normal when using QL-SD. I haven't investigated how it decides that it wants to do this yet. But I have never experienced it finding any :o

Marcel

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Andrew wrote:I formated another card on Monday and started to install on it all that I had on the first card, this time using only QPC. Till now, it works if I use only QXL and RAM drives (no copying from DOS drives) but every time I put the card into the PC WIndows wants to check it for errors - and half of the time says it fixed some errors. I will try another card during the week-end, when I have some more free time.
The "no copying from DOS drives" is just because all files I have in DOS directories were used with QEmulator and most of them have a 30 bytes QDOS header added by QEmulator .
QPC is not deleting the header when copying these files on QXL drive - so I end up with unusable files on QL.
I hope I'm not misunderstanding this - there seems to be a glaring error or misunderstanding here.

Of course you will end up with unuable files - QemuLator is responsible for addign/removing the header bytes, not QPC2.

QemuLator is a pain in the **** with these headers, it costs me so much time with submissions to my site that people seem unable to understand what is going on.

On any media which does not understand QL executable file headers, QemuLator adds its own header preamble. Normally, if copying to QDOS media using QemuLator, the files are "un-QemuLatored" invisibly. However, if files are copied directly from a native QemuLator folder using Windows or rimilar, these headers don't get removed.

Simple answer - use QemuLator to copy to a QDOS medium such as ramdisk before putting them in a QXL.WIN - that way QemuLator removes the headers by itself.

Don't expect a Windows or QPC2 operation to remove these headers!

Or am I missing something very obvious here???

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Dilwyn,
agree the headers are a nuisance, especially to unexperienced users. I never understood why the Q-Emulator header format did not place a branch over its added header to the real start of the code which would really simplify matters. Probably too late now, however.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

mk79 wrote:That it wants to check the drive for errors is quite normal when using QL-SD.
Actually, thinking about it, it probably has nothing to do with QL-SD but more with how the SD gets unmounted from within Windows and if files are still open on it when it gets removed.

Marcel