QLCOMMANDER - testers and help needed

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
otis
ROM Dongle

Re: QLCOMMANDER - testers and help needed

Postby otis » Thu May 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Andrew wrote:
otis wrote:Can't seem to find the answer here but: Can QLcommander be used to modify file type, like, making the file executable? It might come handy sometimes.

No, it cannot do that. Never crossed my mind do add this feature.

And you see, it would be a very useful one! :-)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Postby dilwyn » Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 pm

otis wrote:Can't seem to find the answer here but: Can QLcommander be used to modify file type, like, making the file executable? It might come handy sometimes.

While it's not exactly calming bedtime reading, there's an article on my blog about restoring broken executable file headers, either using the SEXEC guess-the-dataspace method or for a minority of programs using some information embedded in some programs called an XTcc field.

Andrew is very welcome to use the info on there to add this to QL Commander, I'm sure it would be a very welcome extra feature.

The article is at https://dilwyn2.wordpress.com/2017/02/26/magic-fields-executable-headers/

Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk
Derek_Stewart
QL Wafer Drive

Postby Derek_Stewart » Fri May 24, 2019 8:56 am

Hi,

Why not implement usage of Fileinfo2, where the data file can be executed and Fileinfo2 associates a executable programme with the data like.

For example, in QPAC2 Files, I execute a Quill file and I have configured Fileinfo2 to execute Xchnage and load the quill file into the Quill word processor

Fileinfo2 is one of the best QL programmes available, it does take a little configuration. but is worth the effort.

Regards,

Derek
otis
ROM Dongle

Postby otis » Fri May 24, 2019 11:58 am

dilwyn wrote:

While it's not exactly calming bedtime reading, there's an article on my blog about restoring broken executable file headers, either using the SEXEC guess-the-dataspace method or for a minority of programs using some information embedded in some programs called an XTcc field.

Andrew is very welcome to use the info on there to add this to QL Commander, I'm sure it would be a very welcome extra feature.

The article is at https://dilwyn2.wordpress.com/2017/02/26/magic-fields-executable-headers/

Oh hai! Yes, I know about that article and had implemented something very similar myself (in SBASIC). Nevertheless, having something similar directly in QLCommander would be a "nice to have".