EasyPTR C Library

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: EasyPTR C Library

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:Evening Dilwyn,
My copy starts at page 247 and is titled "The EASYMENu Control Library Routines". It's definitely for C programmers. It goes up to page 314.
I do have the bit you have too, mine's on blue paper, but that covers the assembly language and SuperBASIC stuff, up to page 246 at least.
I'm just scanning my copy now. From 247 onwards.
Cheers,
Norm.
Great, Norm. If you can do that, I've started scanning the assembler bit up to 246, so between us we should be able to get this done. It's OCRing quite well.

I'm only using Microsoft Document Scanning to OCR it :roll: , although the good quality of the printing means OCR is going quite well, albeit with some loss of layout. Doubt I'll have time to tidy it up afterward but at least it'll be in a Word document ready for someone to finish it off by hand.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hmmm.

I'd forgotten how much I hate OCR! (Ok, it's better than typing everything in again I suppose)

While I'm reasonably accurate with the textual pages of the manual, I'm afraid that the columnar (is that a word?) layout of many pages renders the page pretty much intelligible. :(

The bits on the right side appear to be OCR'd to the bottom and it is all jumbled up.

Does anyone have a decent OCR system that can cope?

I'm rather disappointed now, it was all going so well.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Ok, I've zipped up the initial OCR scans pages from 247 onwards to 314 and the file size is just 41Kb. It's not perfect and I've had a go at correcting some of the pages, but sadly, MrsD is home from Pilates and playtime is over for tonight/this week. Sorry!
EasyPointer3_C_Library_pages_247onwards.zip
OCR'd Text files - initial pass.
(40.08 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
I also have the 300dpi, high quality, jpegs (contradiction in terms there eh!) if required. That will be about 17 MB in size, so best not uploaded here. Give me a shout if required.

Cheers,
Norm.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

First draft of pages 157 to 246 (preceding what Norman has done).

I've hand corrected the first few pages and will endeavour to go further in the coming days; I'll just post this here for now in case someone else feels like picking up from here.

As I can't attach Word files here, I've zipped up the documents.
Easyptr3pt3page157-246draft1.zip

kmmann
ROM Dongle

Post by kmmann »

well done both of you in first finding then scanning / OCRing the manuals. I am entirely content to work my way through the text documents and produce a word/PDF version if that would help. As a newly retired person I find myself with some time to give to such projects :D

To proceed with the correcting process, I would need the scans themselves to compare against the OCRed versions, or the original document. Sounds like Norman has the original scans - if you could send them to me via email I will commence work immediately. If they are decent OCRs - it looks like they are - then it should not take too long to produce a draft for checking and submission.

Kevin

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Morning All,

Dilwyn, what scanning/OCRing software did you use, it looks pretty much perfect - at least, it reproduces the manual layout as far as I can see. My system extracted the text but lost the formatting, so titles etc are no longer centered, bold, etc. I used to have something that did the same back in my old Windows days, I wonder if I still have it..... must have a look.

Anyway, early this morning, when the birds were still asleep - and I wasn't - I created a GitHub repository at https://github.com/SinclairQL/EasyMenu_3_Manual and uploaded all the following:
  • A zipped copy (17.2MB) of the jpegs I scanned - pages 247 to 314 inclusive;
  • The first pass OCR'd text files corresponding to the above. These need some work to remove glitches and reformat some sections due to lost layout;
  • Dilwyn's Word documents for pages 159 to 198 and 199 to 246 inclusive. These two files pretty much replicate the original manual in a way that mine do not!
If anyone wants to work on the files, feel free. Preferably, using the facilities of git so you can work on pages without treading on someone else's work on the same page(s). However, if you don't have, or don't want git on your system, download the repository from https://github.com/SinclairQL/EasyMenu_ ... master.zip, (it's big mind you!) work on the files, and email the changed text files to me - send me a PM and I'll send you my email, if you don't have it already - and I'll do the necessary uploading etc. It's teamwork after all.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I checked my printed copy of the manual supplied by Qbranch, I do not have Part 3, I remember asking Roy Wood about the documentation for Part 3 at a Quanta Workshop. Which he said it was not required.

So I have only looked at the Include files on the Part 3 Disk.

Thank you for supplying the missing documentation.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

kmmann wrote:well done both of you in first finding then scanning / OCRing the manuals. I am entirely content to work my way through the text documents and produce a word/PDF version if that would help. As a newly retired person I find myself with some time to give to such projects :D

To proceed with the correcting process, I would need the scans themselves to compare against the OCRed versions, or the original document. Sounds like Norman has the original scans - if you could send them to me via email I will commence work immediately. If they are decent OCRs - it looks like they are - then it should not take too long to produce a draft for checking and submission.

Kevin
Unfortunately no image scans as the software output OCRed direct to Word. Perhaps if you could work on Norman's scans and as I'm home today I'll do what I can to hand-correct mine (assuming I get peace here to work).

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:Morning All,

Dilwyn, what scanning/OCRing software did you use, it looks pretty much perfect - at least, it reproduces the manual layout as far as I can see. My system extracted the text but lost the formatting, so titles etc are no longer centered, bold, etc. I used to have something that did the same back in my old Windows days, I wonder if I still have it..... must have a look.

Cheers,
Norm.
Microsoft Document Scanning.

It doesn't preserve layout actually, you probably just saw the first few pages I had time to hand-correct last night.

Will carry on today with that work and upload my results later. Unfortunately, I don't have 'image scans' - it just OCRed direct without saving images.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks Dilwyn,

I found an old copy of Abbey Fine Reader 8 in my collection of Windows stuff from a bygone age, I've set up a VM and I'm running it now on the scans I made. It does preserver the formatting, pretty much mostly, but doesn't get as much text out as my Linux systems did. C'est la vie, as they say in Cardiff!

Cheers,
Norm.