Gigabasic

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Andrew
Aurora

Gigabasic

Post by Andrew »

Has anyone used Gigabasic ? I downloaded it from Dilwyn's site, but none of the example programs work on my QL or on QEmulator.
For example, if I try to load and run globe_gbs it will crash with bad name at a PRINT command. And yes, PRINT does not work anymore

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Gigabasic

Post by RWAP »

It works here on JS ROM in q-emulator using the supplied boot program and then LRUN flp1_sprite_gbs

Are you trying to use it with Minerva?

Do not use LRESPR to install the toolkit - as it looks as though the toolkit needs more memory than the mere file length...

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Yes, I am using it with Minerva ROM. I will try with JS ROM, but it will not help me much, as I also have Minerva installed in the QL

Tesla
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by Tesla »

Andrew wrote Has anyone used Gigabasic ? I downloaded it from Dilwyn's site, but none of the example programs work on my QL or on QEmulator.
For example, if I try to load and run globe_gbs it will crash with bad name at a PRINT command. And yes, PRINT does not work anymore
Hi Andrew, I use successfully Gigabasic, but, as RWAP has explained, It doesn't work with Minerva Rom. It works well under JS rom. You must configure Qemulator with original speed, otherwise the programs can't be controlled. Sprite_gbs in the original version get some errors. Test_gbs and globe_gbs, I don't remember but maybe also.
I attach a file with these programs that work on q-emulator plus a game_set to prove sprite_gbs . Attention: when you charge the file don't choose "directory" but "cancel" and then digit the name file (typically flp1_game_set) because the program falls in error.
Have fun.
Attachments
STUFFgbs.zip
(15.08 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Perhaps we should disassemble Gigabasic with DEAssembler (also on Dilwyn's site) and see if we can figure out why it doesn't work on Minerva.

That would be a good community project.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

RWAP wrote:Perhaps we should disassemble Gigabasic with DEAssembler (also on Dilwyn's site) and see if we can figure out why it doesn't work on Minerva.

That would be a good community project.
Hi RIch,

I have already disassembled Gigabasic, a few months ago, but never really looked at the code.

My next step was to assemble the disassembly code to see if I have got the correct data structure and then understand the code.

I usually disassemble every programme to understand and learn how to programme better.

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Why not put the disassembly onto github, then everyone can share the pain ;)

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Would be interesting to know, which SB Screen Editor was first, the one in GIGA-Basic (SCREEN) or the one in TK2 (ED).

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

RWAP wrote:Why not put the disassembly onto github, then everyone can share the pain ;)
Hi Rich,

I was thinking about posting the code Github.

I will do this soon, I just come back from holiday, drinking wine in Mallorca :D

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I had to redo the disassembly of Gigabasic, some how the DISA idx file had below overwritten by another file, not sure what happened there.

In the process of disassembling Gigbasic, DISA sometime lockup, which I had to remove the DISA job and reload the Gigbasisc files again. This why there was a delay.

I have not tried to reassemble the disassembled code yet to see if my disassembly is correct.

I did notice that there is use of static addresses for the screen and system variables, which is why is does not work in Minerva and SMSQ/E. Looking like sloppy programming assuming the screen and system variables addresses do not move.

I will look at posting the code on Github once:

https://github.com/derek2210/GIgaBasic

Regards,

Derek