International Cricket by Nigel Holder

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

International Cricket by Nigel Holder

Post by RWAP »

I have been relaxing today and decided to give International Cricket by Nigel Holder another go.
International Cricket - screenshot.jpg
I first saw this program when it was sent to me for testing by CGH Services (about 1990 I think). I always loved the graphics which I thought were well done, but I just really struggled to control the game and thought it was too hard for commercial release; so am not sure if it ever was released commercially.

Shame I can't remember the controls - fielding appears to be Q left, E right, P up, L down - space or P to bowl. Space to change the fielder - Enter to select it.

Batting seems to be P or L to bat - hold down Q or E to run between the wickets.

S shows score card

It can of course be found on the Sinclair QL Homepage - I have created a version to run under q-emulator (you need 384K) and this is attached
Attachments
International Cricket.zip
(31.56 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: International Cricket by Nigel Holder

Post by RWAP »

Ah - Nigel sold this program direct for £4.99 back in the day (it needs details adding to the QL Wiki).

Details and a review appear in QLAF issue 7 - http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/mags/qlaf/qlaf7.pdf

There was originally a 128K and a 256K version - the version on the Sinclair QL Homepage is the 256K version. There are some hints in the review in QLAF to how you control the bowling and batting more - it is a shame the manual is working

Nigel also released (or was working on ) several other games:
Bull Shot (a darts program) for £4.99
World Golf 3D for £5.99
Punch Up (a beat 'em up)
Lost Robots (text and graphics adventure)
Gang Wars (role playing adventure)
-plus extra world golf courses.

Based on the graphics for International Cricket, I would love to have a go at Nigel's other games; as they should make a welcome addition to any QL library.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have found Bull Shot - so we just need Nigel to confirm it can be released...
BullShot-screenshot.jpg

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

That looks excellent, love the graphics!

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

YES!!!

Hopefully it can be released.

*plays tape of bullseye theme tune & readies prize board*

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

If someone is going to try to find Nigel Holder, according to the QLAF / QLLR magazines, he started concentrating on some "cinemaware" adventure for the Atari ST / Amiga - so that might be a lead...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

robheaton wrote:YES!!!

He he, I thought that a program about darts would wake up Rob Heaton ;-)

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

dilwyn wrote:
robheaton wrote:YES!!!

He he, I thought that a program about darts would wake up Rob Heaton ;-)

:D

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
NigelHolder
ROM Dongle

Post by NigelHolder »

Hi chaps. I was in the garage yesterday and spotted an old QL in a box, which later inspired me to return to this forum. I wish I had seen this thread sooner, last year I was looking for a screenshot of my cricket game to show to a friend. I totally forgot about the darts game I wrote all those years ago, and a golf game that was a failed attempt to replicate Leaderboard on the C64. I remember struggling with the 3D graphics for a while and I'm sure it won't have stood the test of time. Anyway, what do you need, if anything?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

NigelHolder wrote:Hi chaps. I was in the garage yesterday and spotted an old QL in a box, which later inspired me to return to this forum. I wish I had seen this thread sooner, last year I was looking for a screenshot of my cricket game to show to a friend. I totally forgot about the darts game I wrote all those years ago, and a golf game that was a failed attempt to replicate Leaderboard on the C64. I remember struggling with the 3D graphics for a while and I'm sure it won't have stood the test of time. Anyway, what do you need, if anything?
Hello Nigel,
You may have seen the comment on here from Rich Mellor in 2018 about getting your Darts program re-released. Rob Heaton, one of the foundersof this forum, is a darts fanatic!

Over the years, we've tried to get permission to re-release old QL software as freeware where possible - Rich Mellor has been quite a driving force behind this. If you still have copies of any of your programs, we would be very grateful and ready to make them available.