Sprite Generator Software

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
thorsinclair
Trump Card

Re: Sprite Generator Software

Post by thorsinclair »

Hi,

just tried the programs yesterday on Q-emulator for OS X. When I'm starting the heli game (and other demos) I get an exception handler error :-(

Sth for Daniele to tackle with?

Best,

Thor

Baron3D
ROM Dongle

Post by Baron3D »

Sorry for may bad memory. I didn't meet Dilwyn in Münster I meet Richardson.

Could it be the hardware access that makes the problem?
The spritegenerator uses hardware access as well as traps.
Basic Commands is registred in the *.boot code. All the programs must be started by running *.boot.

Do you get an exception in the *.boot or in the *.bas?

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

Hi,

I've attached 2 screenshots, first the starting screen, second the Q-emulator error.

Best,
T
Attachments
Starting screen
Starting screen

thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

Here is the second screenshot
Attachments
Error
Error

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

All I can add to the exception error is that I have experienced the same on my iMAC aswell, I have tried different speeds as well on other Sprite programs with varying degrees of success. It is very frustrating as many interesting programs could be written if sprite control was available for the new QL systems with more colours. The starting point would be to get a Sprite program working well on the emulators.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Baron3D
ROM Dongle

Post by Baron3D »

68000 has a user-mode and a supervisor-mode. There are som instructions that is only allowed in supervisor-mode. If I remember correctly I used Trap 0 to get into supervisor-mode.
Every trap is executed in supervisor-mode and I call some of then.

Since you get some sprites on screen it may be the sound call that gives the problem.
The code may call the sound trap just to make sure there is no sound. :o

Could it be the Q-emulator is not correctly emulating 68008 supervisor-mode-instructions ?
I know there is differences betwen 68xxx processors. In one processor an instruction is a supervisor-mode-instruction, in others it is not.

Is there a way to let the emulator to skip the message and just continue?

Dispite of your problem, it is very nice to see my spritegenerator in action.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Is there a way to let the emulator to skip the message and just continue?

Dispite of your problem, it is very nice to see my spritegenerator in action.
Hmmm unfortunately, in response to 'Stop QL session' Yes stops it, No just brings the message up again.

If it is the QL sound call thats calling it I would have thought there is a work around :(

Has any one tried this on QemuLator on a Windows based machine I wonder.

If I get some time I might try this over the xmas period, although I have some intensive training & exams on the 24th, 28th & Jan 2nd and 3rd so under a bit of pressure :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Baron3D
ROM Dongle

Post by Baron3D »

I also used keyboard trap to read one (or two) row (or column) in the keyboard matrix.
So, sound and keybord trap is used.
Sprites is drawn, then there is not more than above traps. (If I remember correctly. It is after all 25 years ago)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Baron3D wrote:I also used keyboard trap to read one (or two) row (or column) in the keyboard matrix.
So, sound and keybord trap is used.
Sprites is drawn, then there is not more than above traps. (If I remember correctly. It is after all 25 years ago)
I have tried running some of the demo games on QemuLator v3.1.2 on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. They run OK as long as you set the emulator to QL speed. Keyboard control is a bit erratic though it generally works, just that sometimes it takes a long time for a keypress to register. I have only tried playing with the games for a few minutes, but no exception errors yet.

This is 25 year old software so it is good it runs on anything other than an original QL I suppose.

I'm about to upload the sprite generator and games to my website as one file, I'll post the URL here when done. If anyone makes change sor improvments to any part of the package please let me know so it can all be updated.

Dilwyn

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Frank's Sprite Generator

(copy of email sent to ql-users group)

FSG is a sprites package for QL SuperBASIC, written by Frank Linder in Sweden. FSG stands for "Frank's Sprite Generator"! It was written in the 1980s but never released commercially. Frank has now given permission for it to be released as Freeware.

The package includes an icon editor, screens editor and music editor, along with some very playable sample demo games including Heli (a helicopter game), Aste (based on Asteroids), Grott (a cave/mountain adventure game) and Combat (2 player helicopter game). Note that the package only runs on a system with QL mode 8 screen resolution and colour mode, with system variables atthe address of an original QL system. Sprite control is via a comprehensive set of BASIC extensions, creating games which can run interpreted in SuperBASIC and compilable with Q-Liberator.

The zipped package is a 120KB free download from the Games page on my website at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/games/index.html