Status of QMON

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Status of QMON

Post by mk79 »

First of all thank you everybody for the very quick responses! Outstanding as usual :) The ones we have now could be the base for a new manual, but a lot of work still has to go into them to make them proper. Removing linefeeds within paragraphs, structuring the document, switching to a proportional font (which means adding proper tables) etc. I'm still hoping that I'm not the one who has to do it ;)
pjw wrote:This copy too is missing the JMON bit, but looks authentically retro. The version I have seems to be the same, except that it is nicely formatted and with a clickable index, proper chapter headings, etc. Ie, someone must already have done the work.
But let that not stop anyone from the pleasure of doing it all again, if thats what it takes to get your rocks off.
Well, I'd be very glad to base it on your version, but so far you're apparently the only one who has it. Is there anything in the file metadata that could point to the author (e.g. File->properties in Adobe Reader)?

Marcel

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Ok, did a docx version of the pdf. Again, provenance unknown, and I havent gone through the whole thing with a tooth comb, re spelling etc. Added the JMON bit to the end (rather hurriedly as Im not at my usual computer).
QMON206.zip
(51.99 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Thanks Per. Unfortunately the conversion is lossy, like that the numbers in front of the chapters are now part of the chapter names and don't renumber when you insert something. And apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to change the Word template to show the numbers again for the "Heading" styles. And when I insert the text in a new document the whole layout is broken :-( I still hope that the original might turn up one way or the other.

Cheers, Marcel

olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

mk79 wrote:Thanks Per. Unfortunately the conversion is lossy, like that the numbers in front of the chapters are now part of the chapter names and don't renumber when you insert something. And apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to change the Word template to show the numbers again for the "Heading" styles. And when I insert the text in a new document the whole layout is broken :-( I still hope that the original might turn up one way or the other.
Marcel, I'll clean up the word doc and update the formatting. I should have the first version later tonight...

O

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

I spent a little time this morning trying to figure out how to automate the numbering in Word. Here is the result. I couldnt figure out how to start numbering at zero, but maybe someone else knows.
QMON206n.zip
(68.68 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

mk79 wrote:Unfortunately the conversion is lossy, like that the numbers in front of the chapters are now part of the chapter names and don't renumber when you insert something. And apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to change the Word template to show the numbers again for the "Heading" styles. And when I insert the text in a new document the whole layout is broken :-( I still hope that the original might turn up one way or the other.
Yes, the backported Word doc from a PDF messed up the styling quite badly. I've recreated a properly styled new Word document now from scratch using Duncans TXT file (plus the JMON section from Per) and applied the right styling, in particular:
  • clean style definitions
  • separate sections for front matter and document (for page numbering)
  • auto numbered headings (from 0) and TOC creation
  • automatic page/paragraph provision in styles to reduce arbitrary page breaks
  • everything that should be a table is a table now
  • just for kicks re-created the QJump logo as svg from Ralfs box photo
I still want to clean up a bit further (superfluous spaces, in paragraph highlights), so if you want make changes to the doc right now please do it online here https://1drv.ms/w/s!AgxrZW7zjbUwjtAtYpAa360ez10hXw

Attached the docx and pdf. Enjoy.

O
Attachments
QMON2-recreated.zip
(527.31 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Very neat :)
A couple of points that I picked up:
I wonder if the copyright notice should go back in?
12.1.2 .. $EDBE Enter Debugger was underlined in the original (easier to remember?)
When you convert to pdf, its useful to use the option to create bookmarks out of chapter headings, as this makes it easier to jump straight to the bit you need.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

olifink wrote:just for kicks re-created the QJump logo as svg from Ralfs box photo
:geek: :D

4E75 7000
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

pjw wrote:Very neat :)
I wonder if the copyright notice should go back in?
thanks - uhm, jap, I was wondering about the copyright as well when I formatted it, because I was doing the thing it was put in to avoid. I left it in for completeness with the original and leave it Marcel to change it :D
pjw wrote: 12.1.2 .. $EDBE Enter Debugger was underlined in the original (easier to remember?)
When you convert to pdf, its useful to use the option to create bookmarks out of chapter headings, as this makes it easier to jump straight to the bit you need.
good points, just added the underline now and now build the PDF via export (not the PDF printer as before) so now the TOC is clickable in the PDF. Also I've loosened the line spacing which feels much more readable to me and removed said spaces.
Attachments
QMON2.zip
(344.89 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

Ralf R. wrote:
olifink wrote:just for kicks re-created the QJump logo as svg from Ralfs box photo
:geek: :D
that's not true... :? I'm actually recreating the full box - as a vector image :D
qmon-box-work.png