Lightning - is ROM version same as on-disk?

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Lightning - is ROM version same as on-disk?

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi everyone

I have a copy of Lightning SE that I purchased and used many moons ago with my original BBQL.

Now I would like to burn a ROM image for my 'new' BBQL with the various LNG extensions and was wondering if anyone here knew whether or not the disk-copy that I have been using would also take to ROM OK?

I notice some significant sparse/sections of NULs in the TEXT binary extension file, for instance, which would usually indicate to me that the the code expects to 'self-modify' and fill those gaps - obviously wouldn't work in ROM.

If there are indeed distinct versions for disk and ROM, does anyone know if the disk-copy I purchased would entitle me to burn a ROM version (if there is still a copy around)?

Thanks in advance!

M.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Lightning - is ROM version same as on-disk?

Post by tofro »

Martyn,
ROM software and disk software is definitely not the same for the QL - ROM binaries need to supply a special ROM header in order to become recognized by QDOS. On the other hand, if you load a ROM binary into RAM and call it directly, it will simply not work (the standard ROM header begins with an invalid opcode)

I don't have and don't use lightning, so can't help with specific knowledge.
In order to find out whether a binary is capable of working from ROM, simple RESPR it, and do a CALL to it. Work around a bit, touching as much functionality as possible, and then compare it to the original file contents. If it is still the same, it is probably ROMable.

If you want to put a binary into ROM that does not have a proper ROM header (that's what seems to be the case here), you need to add the same, otherwise QDOS will not properly recognize it. It needs to look like

Code: Select all

HEAD:
        DC.L      $4afb0001              ; ROM header magic
        DC.W    0                        ; Would be basic PROCS and FUNCS table
        DC.W    ORIGN - HEAD             ; Offset of code start relative to 
                                         ; HEAD (original $0 address, normally)
        DC.W    <String length of ROM name>
        DC.B    'Whatever name you choose'
        DC.W    0
ORIGN:                                   ; original code of non-ROM binary here
And if you have a properly licensed disk version of some software, I wouldn't normally expect the license to care on what type of medium you use it from.

Hope this helps,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Thank you, Tobias!

Yes, the ROM header would definitely need to be added, wouldn't it.

As the disk-copy LNG extensions are simply RESPRd anyhow, the question remains whether it tries to write to its own code area once running - I guess I can just test it by burning an EPROM and seeing if it still behaves - once I've designed and built my next expansion card...

M.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I should have a spare Lightning SE ROM if you need one :D

I think it only contains the text routines from memory

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Rich!

That would be very helpful... I'm in the process of building a toolkit of extensions to put on EPROM (or, if I finish it soon, an NV SRAM) so that I can ultimately do away with the mdvs altogether on my BBQL...

It's mostly the TEXT extension that I have been using so far, anyway.

We can discuss cost as part of our other PM :-)