More recent mdv discoveries

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

More recent mdv discoveries

Post by Chr$ »

Some recent purchases/discoveries:

Tank Buster - in original box, fully working - Actually a pretty good 3D wireframe game.

War in the East - the +3 version it would seem, which includes all 3 of the scenarios. There is a cart labelled 'Master+3' and another called 'Scen 1,2,3', which I have discovered needs to be present in mdv2_. Original box but no instructions (great if someone could post a copy of those, RWAP, Simone?). The master cart is fine and has dumped perfectly. The scen 1,2,3 has a damaged file called map4_scen2, but that doesn't actually matter I don't think, because when it loads it checks the ver$... If it's JSL (it is after all a USA made game) it will load files/fonts for the right US screen config. If the ver$ is not JSL then it loads different files with 'JM' in their names. The damaged file is actually one of the files for JSL as far as I can tell. I know there is a newer version of this by RWAP.

Filebound (orig. loose cart) - Listed as MIA on the wiki, but it looks like that isn't the case as Simone has it on his list. It's some kind of add-on for Spellbound, not exactly sure what it does yet!

QL Hopper (orig. loose cart) - Cart has one bad sector, which is fortunately only part of the loading splash screen, called 'pic', which has a black bar through it instead of the image. Works fine apart from that. Not a bad rendition of Frogger.

QPlus+ (orig. loose cart) - All fine. This is a toolkit/utility by Sandy (UK). Might be if interest to Dave. Can't find any mention on the wiki. There is a review in QL World, May '87 starting p.27.

Gigachrome (orig. loose cart) - drawing package by ABC Elektronic of Germany (by Jochen Merz & Rainer Bieniek).

Qcode Terminal v4.0 (orig. loose cart) - Apparently a very popular terminal prog for accessing BB's and the like.

Not checked yet: I also have backup copies of 'Qimp', 'QL Pientre', 'Spellbound' and I'm particularly looking forward to 'Screen Snatch'.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: More recent mdv discoveries

Post by dilwyn »

Chr$ wrote:Some recent purchases/discoveries:

Filebound (orig. loose cart) - Listed as MIA on the wiki, but it looks like that isn't the case as Simone has it on his list. It's some kind of add-on for Spellbound, not exactly sure what it does yet!
This was a program written in SuperBASIC by Chas Dillon and published in QL World November 1987.

It was an add-on program for Spellbound, allowing it to check text from files (as opposed to Spellbound's usual role of checking typing as you type). Have used it in the past, when I was using Spellbound (before changing to QTyp), although I don't remember that much about it.I *think* it was available from the QL World microdrive exchange at some point.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

dilwyn wrote:I *think* it was available from the QL World microdrive exchange at some point.
Yes, I think you're right as the style of the label is the same as other QL World exchange carts that I have.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Chr$ wrote: Qcode Terminal v4.0 (orig. loose cart) - Apparently a very popular terminal prog for accessing BB's and the like.
This was supplied with the Modaptor from Miracle Systems, which was a device that had to be plugged between the QL's serial port and a modem to make it work with 1200/75 split baud rate and do some shaping on the incoming signal (the 8049's code that dealt with serial input was buggy and prone to read errors).

Unfortunately it had no support for file transfer protocols other than its own proprietary one, which prompted me to write my own terminal emulator which is now known as QLTerm...

Tesla
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by Tesla »

Hi Chr$ I have found this from the dust of my drawers.

Enjoy it! ;)

Marco

P.s. Very nice yours PC case stickers
Attachments
WITE-manual.pdf
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 77 times

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Tesla wrote:Hi Chr$ I have found this from the dust of my drawers.

Enjoy it! ;)

Marco

P.s. Very nice yours PC case stickers
Thanks Marco. You have the boxed original too?

And thanks for the info Jan.

Tesla
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by Tesla »

Unfortunately not.
The game was given to me by a friend of mine who had the micordrives but not the box. :oops:
He also made me a scanning of the manual.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Of the remaining carts, here were the most interesting discoveries:

QIMP (QL Icon Manager Program - see pic) - v1.50 1986 by L. Hirschbiegel. Can find nothing whatsoever about it or the author. Looks like an interesting icon/menu environment. Works with cursor keys or mouse (not sure what type of mouse yet). It came from the USA so possibly something North American.
QIMP.png
Q_Link, original cart, v1.497 - Terminal software including utilities to 'unsqueeze' files. It's by Harvey Taylor of Meta Media Productions (of Vancouver, Canada). I believe it's from 1988. There is a little info online that suggests it retailed for $29.95.

Spellbound - labelled as (version?) 1045M.

Screen Snatch - Seems to work, boots and says 'Screen Snatch Activated'. Haven't looked into it any further but it appears to be by Talent and probably allows you to dump screen contents to a printer.