QL 'Keyboard'

Discussions for anything QL related up for Auction.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

QL 'Keyboard'

Post by Chr$ »

It usually annoys me when people call the QL a 'keyboard', simply because in modern terms that's what it looks like to most people (or people under a certain age, dare I say).

Recently though, I profited from this poor descriptive term. There was a QL 'keyboard' on eBay. All you could definitely see was the top and bottom of it and it looked like the keys were standing proud, so I asked the seller if there was anything inside, e.g. k/b metal plate, rubber membrane, heatsink, expansion port covers, anything at all. He sent some other pics and I could clearly see that everything was inside. It was a complete QL! So I bought-it-now for £30.

It arrived today and looked like it had been in a barn for 20 years, but it booted so I completely disassembled it, cleaned it up, dried it out and it only bloody works, like everything - mdvs, keyboard (after some playing around; it has had a new membrane at some point). 2 keys were missing, but it really came up well. As a little bonus it's an issue 7 with JS ROMs.

Out load I exclaimed 'Alteeeeeer!!!' (German readers will understand).

Definitely one of my bargains of the year despite the £15 postage to here.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: QL 'Keyboard'

Post by NormanDunbar »

My QL bargain was at a show in Newcastle. I bought one raffle ticket for 50 pence. I won a brand new JS QL in the box.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.