Sinclair QL2 Prototype replica on eBay

Discussions for anything QL related up for Auction.
M68008
Trump Card

Re: Sinclair QL2 Prototype replica on eBay

Post by M68008 »

Pr0f wrote:I'd be interested in the 3d print files for it - but not for that money.
The files are on Thingiverse.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

M68008 wrote: The files are on Thingiverse.
Cool, I just found it there. Maybe someone can re-create it. I don't like the look of the final printed parts. The black looks more grey and lacks a matte finish (plus the middle section doesn't quite look to have the same coloring).

Neat though that someone tried to create that iconic look. I did like that machine design when I first saw it in that book. That design was a slimmer QL case though as it didn't have the top part with logo...probably due to using the existing keyboard as-is.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

On a practical note, this revised case could also be made thinner than the actual QL (or what this is presently). That way the dome has a purpose, which is to house the logic board -- in this case (no pun intended) the Pi but it could also be a case design for the Q68. So basically the keyboard sits to the left of the Q68 and the red dome area is to house the main unit with expansion ports. That would be an interesting design for a Q68 case that would fit with Rick Dickinson's idea yet not just re-create something without purpose. This would reduce large cavities of empty space in a housing just for the purpose of re-creating some look.

So maybe, find a small generic black ps-2 keyboard that has a low profile that is easily attainable (not rare) and then print a case for it that embeds it to the left of the red dome...obviously re-creating the QL keyboard would be ideal but I would hate to destroy actual QL's to create a Q68 case. The magic of the Spectrum Next was the fact that they created this nice specialty keyboard for it.