Added md cartridge page (groan).

QL Wiki discussion for anything Wiki related
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Added md cartridge page (groan).

Post by Chr$ »

The humble and very obsolete md cart. *yawn* I know nobody actually uses them anymore! They were quite literally an integral part of the Sinclair QL, and I don't think I'm the only one with much affection towards them. I thought they were deserving of a QL wiki page, so have taken it upon myself to create one (hope that's ok Norm).

https://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?i ... _cartridge
md_cart_singletop.jpg
Any corrections/remarks, go:

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Added md cartridge page (groan).

Post by bwinkel67 »

It allowed the QL to really have a disk operating system and who knows what QDOS would have looked like if they had gone the Spectrum route of cassettes...obviously if they had chosen a 3 or 3 1/2 inch floppy format that would have been the case as well but a cassette interface would have made that moot. I'm glad they went with these instead of cassettes.

I can still grab stuff off of mine and the other day I was even able to run an executable but there are also, interspersed, bad sectors. The endless spinning is what I hated. Using a sector recovery program usually shows better results when a cartridge has flaws...wish somehow they had integrated features of that so that you could recover more quickly some bad sectors where you sometimes are just missing a few characters (not good for binary but good for text).

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Chr$,
Chr$ wrote:The humble and very obsolete md cart. *yawn* ... (hope that's ok Norm).
It's not actually my Wiki. It was converted by me, from the old one Rich (RWAP) created. The software used became pretty much abandoned and unsupported. I converted from that to DokuWiki with a bit of dubious programming - which worked.

Rich did all the hard work.

I support the Wiki and keep spammers at bay. QL Forum offered the disc space, as did others, but I chose QL Forum after much thought and consideration. I do admit to adding the Todo page. ;)

The Wiki is a community project now. All, non-spammers, are welcome.

I do get an email when someone changes something. You've been filling my inbox regularly. I have to thank you for all your contributions. Thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

NormanDunbar wrote:
It's not actually my Wiki. It was converted by me, from the old one Rich (RWAP) created. The software used became pretty much abandoned and unsupported. I converted from that to DokuWiki with a bit of dubious programming - which worked.
I sort of gathered, but you seem to be the main go-to man on the forum.
NormanDunbar wrote:
I do get an email when someone changes something. You've been filling my inbox regularly. I have to thank you for all your contributions. Thanks.
Oops, I didn't know that. I sometimes make a change, re-check things and then make other very minor changes, then go through and spot something else!

I have pics of the Amadeus to add next and I'll no doubt think of other stuff.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Just to be clear, getting emails about changes isn't a problem, I set it up that way. It allows me, well allowed back then, to get rid of any spam quickly.

I've since changed it so that new members don't immediately get write access, this was after a spammer signed up repeatedly and posted his sh!t. He still signs up regularly but cannot post. I change his password to something rude, which sends him an email with the details, then delete his account regardless.

He will get fed up before I do, and I know a lot of rude words! :D

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.