Aurora Minerva Boot Error

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Aurora Minerva Boot Error

Post by Pr0f »

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Pr0f wrote:the CR2032 is a non rechargeable lithium cell - and the Minerva board probably has a charge circuit on board for that battery - in fact I think it may even be built into the RTC chip on the board - so you should replace it with a rechargeable.

However, you can wire a diode in series with the battery - with the stripe on the diode being furthers away from the battery positive - and this will prevent current entering the battery - then you can use a Lithium cell.

Positive to Minerva (red lead) ----|<---+||- ----O volts (black lead)
I’ve actually found a suitable replacement. I was trying to see if there was a charge voltage but the battery is utterly dead so pulling that down.

I do have cr2032 adapters for Amiga with the diode already in there.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

XorA wrote:
Pr0f wrote:the CR2032 is a non rechargeable lithium cell - and the Minerva board probably has a charge circuit on board for that battery - in fact I think it may even be built into the RTC chip on the board - so you should replace it with a rechargeable.

However, you can wire a diode in series with the battery - with the stripe on the diode being furthers away from the battery positive - and this will prevent current entering the battery - then you can use a Lithium cell.

Positive to Minerva (red lead) ----|<---+||- ----O volts (black lead)
I’ve actually found a suitable replacement. I was trying to see if there was a charge voltage but the battery is utterly dead so pulling that down.

I do have cr2032 adapters for Amiga with the diode already in there.
They should work a treat then :-)

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

those rechargeable batteries have a shelf life of about 10 years - so if that was the original one - it's easily 20+ years old :-)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

XorA wrote:
Pr0f wrote:Is that the redirected ROM address?

The location it is having an issue with is 0x0400000, which is the address immediately after the 4MB SGC RAM area - I believe this is where SGC maps the original ROM to (in your case Minerva).

I wonder if you need to tell the boot loader not to test after 4MB limit? - there was a way to do that in the I2C battery backed RAM that's on your Minerva.
Yes according to Markus excellent doc that’s the remapped rom!
Markus? Or did you mean Marcel?

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

dilwyn wrote:
XorA wrote:
Pr0f wrote:Is that the redirected ROM address?

The location it is having an issue with is 0x0400000, which is the address immediately after the 4MB SGC RAM area - I believe this is where SGC maps the original ROM to (in your case Minerva).

I wonder if you need to tell the boot loader not to test after 4MB limit? - there was a way to do that in the I2C battery backed RAM that's on your Minerva.
Ooops 2nd time Ive done that I think!

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

XorA wrote:
dilwyn wrote:
XorA wrote:
2nd time I've read it in the forum today even, by different people! Most British brains for some reason cannot process my name :-D I literally had this exchange at QL meetings:

Hi Marcus!
Hi! And it's, Marcel.
Oh, sorry Marcus!

"Fascinating" as Mr Spock would say :D

The I2C chip can save some startup options, including a forced RAM-top. So the battery thing including a scrambled I2C RAM is very likely your problem.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

mk79 wrote:
XorA wrote:
dilwyn wrote: Markus? Or did you mean Marcel?
2nd time I've read it in the forum today even, by different people! Most British brains for some reason cannot process my name :-D I literally had this exchange at QL meetings:

Hi Marcus!
Hi! And it's, Marcel.
Oh, sorry Marcus!

"Fascinating" as Mr Spock would say :D

The I2C chip can save some startup options, including a forced RAM-top. So the battery thing including a scrambled I2C RAM is very likely your problem.
For me its because my brain translate mk to Markus (I have no idea why, maybe in another community there was one).

Good to know about the RAMTOP thing. I can't see that obviously documented, would someone like to give me a pointer!

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Pr0f wrote:http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/mi ... ual_11.pdf

Is a good place to start
Yes, I have read that but its not super obvious where RAMTOP is limited.

I am assuming its in the badly described D1 at boot section which seems to be stored in i2c ram?