SMSQ/2 on Atari

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: SMSQ/2 on Atari

Post by guibrush »

RalfR wrote:From Markus Dettwiler for Hatari:

Configuration
System TT
CPU 68000 32Mhz
TOS EMUTOS512k.img v1.0.x
Floppy MSA/ST 720kb optional
Hardisk
ACSI optional
SCSI -> QXL.win
GemdosDrive -> folder with bootconf.app / smsqe3xx.prg
fire it up
bootconf.app set screen to compatible
reboot optional
start smsqe.prg
wait
I will give a try, thanks. Does it mean than we can mount the .win image as a SCSI partition?

guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

Mmm.... There is no "SCSI" option, only ACSI and IDE

https://imgur.com/S5evrhF

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Darek states:

The Hatari manual states, the commad line can have options entered for Hard Drive Options:

--scsi <id>=<file> Emulate a SCSI hard drive with given bus ID (0-7) using image <file>. If just a filename is given, it is assigned to bus ID 0

So maybe: hatari --scsi 0=qxl.win
Last edited by RalfR on Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4E75 7000
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

guibrush wrote:Is this bootable disk complete with the desktop? It's possible to copy it?
No, as there is "SMS2.PRG" on the Atari disk which loads a BOOT file from a QL disk.

So, you have to have "SMS2.PRG" perhaps on disk, which loads the rest from harddisk or from a FLP2_.

Additionaly, the keywords in SMS2 are totally different from the ones in SuperBASIC.

Example:

QL:
LRESPR win1_qpac2_rext

SMS2:
REXT win1_qpac2_rext

4E75 7000
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Derek states:

So to configure the QXL.WIN file, define it as a SCSI device in the command line, which points the emulator to the QXL.WIN file, then use the WIN_DRIVE command in SMS/E to define WIN1

4E75 7000
Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

A bit of history (extracted from Tony Tebby's articles) and a screen shot.

The screen shot is of the SMS2 cartridge actually running from a USB stick on windows 7.

The odd thing about the SMS2 extract is Tony Tebby's assertion that it "never made it to market".
It must have done because there is a Youtube video showing an SMS2 cartridge booting up in an
Atari ST. (Type SMS2 in the Youtube search box to find it)

SMS2 also ran in an Atari Mega STE with a QVME graphics card to give high resolution displays.

It seems that Tony Tebby was not particularly keen on tha addition of a BASIC interpreter to make SMSQ/E, describing it
as both, a "QL nasty" and as purely retrospective and not furthering the Domesdos OS principles.

-------------------------------------------- Extracts from a series of articles in QL Today and a letter to QLers in May 2009

SMS2
When it had been well established that Domesdos did work reliably and significantly more efficiently
than conventional rnultitasking syslems, I set about writing version 2. The interface was cleaned up to
remove 'QL nasties", which meant that there was no SuperBASlC.
This SMS2 (Small Microcomputer System V2) was hardly any larger than the original Domesdos (QDOS?)
core and, typically, important operating system calls were 30% to 100% faster, as register handling was
optimised for the more complex calls, rather than the simplest, and the code was crafted more carefully.
There was no permanenl user interface program but, whenever there were no jobs in the sysiem, a
default application (Job 0) was started
This syslem was implemented on the Atari ST monochrome system and feasibilily trials were carried
out on a small number of embedded systems. lt was never made available commercially on "standard"
plalforms and no project using it ever made it to market.

SMSQ was SMS2 to which SuperBASlC compatibility was retrofitted. lt was inlended to provide a QL
compatible operatrng system for various QL emulalors. ln general it was much faster lhan QDOS
lt was purely retrospective and did not further the Domesdos style OS principles.

SMSQ-E
SMSQ-E was SMSQ bundled with the slandard QJUMP extended Environment.

------------------------

May 6 2009 1:32 AM
A BRIEF HISTORY of SMSQ/E

Le Grand Pressigny, FRANCE - Tony Tebby
"Incompatibilities & Improvements, Bugs & Features"

"Was It All a Terrible Mistake?" I knew right from the start I should not do it, but so many people were asking for SMS to come out from under its covers that, in early 1992, I outlined a strategy (with Miracle Systems and Jochen Merz) to make a "QL compatible" version of SMS available.

---------------------- Screen shot of the SMS2 cartridge actually running from a USB stick in Wndows 7. Effectively an SMS2 cartridge for the PC
SMS2 on PC1.JPG

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I don't know very much about it, other than SMS2 was released as a plug in cartridge for Ataris by Furst (Frank Gutteridge). Not sure - I think Frank was Swiss? If so (and I am not sure) Urs König may have more information.
SMS2 cartridge.png
sms2_1.jpg
sms2_2.jpg

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Here as an example, my SMS2 BOOT file. Everything without line numbers and the keywords are different too. It was prepared for the standard Atari monochrome monitor. The b/w version of XChange was prepared by TT (XChange_mono).

Perhaps someone has an SMS2 manual?

win_drive 1 0 1
win_drive 2 0 0
data win1_rext_
program win1_ex_
rext maintanance_english
rext dev_rext
rext ptr_st_mono
rext wman
rext menu_rext
rext qlib_run
rext sbas
rext qlib_ext
rext qlib_bin
rext qptr
rext qpac2
rext basic

hot_resw b parser
hot_resw c calculator
hot_resw C converter_bin
hot_resw u calendar
hot_ldwk k config \j {Config Level 1}
hot_resw d qd_basic
hot_ldwk D qd_asmb
hot_resw e sms_sedit_obj \j S_Edit
hot_resw f disktool
hot_wake {\} cli
hot_wake x exec
hot_wake w wake
hot_wake p pick
hot_wake 1 files \p {\os}
hot_ldwk 9 disked \j DISKED
hot_ldwk 0 filed \j FILED
hot_exec {!} files \p {\os}
hot_wake v files \p {\ovz \sn} \w View
hot_wake P files \p {\mp \d_lst \ostv \sn} \j PLST
hot_wake r rjob
hot_resw s fifi
hot_wake S sysdef
hot_ldwk t sms_qplq \j QPLQ
hot_ldwk T xchange_mono \p {150} \j Turbo_XChange
hot_wake j jobs
hot_wake n things
hot_exec z button_sleep
hot_exec {<} button_pick
hot_resw q qlib_obj \j Qlib
hot_go
BT_sleep pick
BT_sleep sysdef
BT_sleep rjob
BT_sleep jobs
BT_sleep wake
BT_sleep exec
BT_hotkey {1} Files
cls0
ex iomenu
ex freemembt_bin
ex clock
ex SetSMSClock
data flp1_
program flp1_
dest PAR
ex cli

4E75 7000
guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

ok, thanks for all those informations. I will try to play a little bit this week-end with the Atari emulator and see if i can boot somehow the .win file that come with the QLE Distribution.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have the Hatari emulator booting into SMSQ/E v3.37, in glorius monochrome.

I had to change the keyboard options to symoblic code, as the _ does not work if it is selected.

If a ST or DOS disk image is attached to thevDidknDrive, SMSQ/E can read the disk image. But a disk image created on Qemulator can be read in.

I can not read a read a hard drive with a QWA container, I used QLE.WIN

Interestingly, the Hatari v2.1.0 from the Linux Mint repository, does not have a SCSI option in the hard drive setup. But the compiled Windows Hatari v2.3.0 has the SCSI option.

The windows version runs under Wine, so is working okay.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek