New (to me) Q40!

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
User avatar
Chr$
Super Gold Card
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby Chr$ » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:46 pm

And here are some decent pics of the Q40 board, taken just before mounting it onto a new home.

Top:
20201221_004004_resizedm.jpg

Bottom:
20201221_003928_resizedm.jpg

Bottom detail (someone called P. Graf ;) )
C message.jpg
C message.jpg (102.6 KiB) Viewed 353 times

An angle:
20201221_004103_resizedm.jpg

Another angle:
20201221_004119_resizedm.jpg


A few more questions spring to mind... What do the yellow stickers indicate (1.0?), if anything? Are the lithium Timekeeper battery/RAM devices known to leak at all? The m/b says V2, so how does it differ to V1? And most importantly, are those big rubber feet an original feature?


Collector of QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't really understand how they work.
Original QL's: many (plus quite a bit of other old stuff and 140+ original software titles)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
QXLII card installed in a PC
Q40 and Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby Derek_Stewart » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:51 pm

Hi Chr$,

Nice pictures, the Q40 board looks to of been a Tony Firshman/Qbranch board.

The Q40 board will allow up to 32Mb Fastpage ram modules as detailed in the Q40 Manual.

The heat sink on the 68040 CPU looks like it has been removed and incorrectly refitted. I would check the heat sink is in contact with the CPU.

All the boards made for the Q60 and Q40i, were v2 PCBs, VRAM chips were soldered direct to the board.

I have not seen the clock batteries lleak, only need replacing at an appropriate time, when the clock is not holding the time correctly.

The yellow stickers indicate the number of IC chip and some sort of version number. The isp1016 chips probably programmed by Tony Firshman.


Regards,

Derek
User avatar
Chr$
Super Gold Card
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby Chr$ » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Chr$,

Nice pictures, the Q40 board looks to of been a Tony Firshman/Qbranch board.

The Q40 board will allow up to 32Mb Fastpage ram modules as detailed in the Q40 Manual.

Yes, normally it has 32mb fitted, I removed it and the eproms for the pics.
Derek_Stewart wrote:The heat sink on the 68040 CPU looks like it has been removed and incorrectly refitted. I would check the heat sink is in contact with the CPU.
It does indeed look a bit wonky, I suspect it was fitted that way originally. I'm sure it's doing it's job as it has certainly been in use over the years with no adverse effects.
Derek_Stewart wrote:All the boards made for the Q60 and Q40i, were v2 PCBs, VRAM chips were soldered direct to the board.
My VRAMs appear to be socketed.
Derek_Stewart wrote:I have not seen the clock batteries leak, only need replacing at an appropriate time, when the clock is not holding the time correctly.
It seems to hold the time for 3-4 days max. I'll have to see if there is a suitable replacement.
Derek_Stewart wrote:The yellow stickers indicate the number of IC chip and some sort of version number. The isp1016 chips probably programmed by Tony Firshman.
Ok, yes I suppose they all look the same so needed some kind of identification so they were fitted in the right places.


Collector of QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't really understand how they work.
Original QL's: many (plus quite a bit of other old stuff and 140+ original software titles)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
QXLII card installed in a PC
Q40 and Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
User avatar
dilwyn
Mr QL
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby dilwyn » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Wow, Q40 dates back to 1997 according to that photo of the circuit board! Honestly did not think the design was that old!


--
All things QL - http://www.dilwyn.me.uk
User avatar
Peter
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:47 am

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Chr$ wrote:A few more questions spring to mind... What do the yellow stickers indicate (1.0?)

IC reference designator and logic version.

Chr$ wrote:Are the lithium Timekeeper battery/RAM devices known to leak at all?

No.

Chr$ wrote:The m/b says V2, so how does it differ to V1?

V1 was the prototype. It was a two-layer board and worked only up to 25 MHz with slower DRAM timings.

Chr$ wrote:And most importantly, are those big rubber feet an original feature?

Not all all.


User avatar
Peter
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:47 am

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Chr$ wrote:It seems to hold the time for 3-4 days max. I'll have to see if there is a suitable replacement.

You can use: M48T02-70PC1 or M48T02-150PC1
In stock at the major distributors like Mouser, etc. If you like, I can get one for you, the next time I order something anyway.


User avatar
Peter
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:47 am

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:03 pm

dilwyn wrote:Wow, Q40 dates back to 1997 according to that photo of the circuit board! Honestly did not think the design was that old!

Yes, and that was already the Q60 PCB, also. Just that the 68060 was still so expensive, I decided to start with the 68040.


User avatar
Chr$
Super Gold Card
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby Chr$ » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Peter wrote:You can use: M48T02-70PC1 or M48T02-150PC1
In stock at the major distributors like Mouser, etc. If you like, I can get one for you, the next time I order something anyway.


Yes, that would be great, please do. Pop it in with the PLCC44 replacement, once I've sorted that out. I will of course include suitable reimbursement for costs and time. Thanks.

And I'll lose those rubber feet then! I don't need them with my new arrangement, clearance underneath is good.


Collector of QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't really understand how they work.
Original QL's: many (plus quite a bit of other old stuff and 140+ original software titles)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
QXLII card installed in a PC
Q40 and Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge
Posts: 2138
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby Derek_Stewart » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:06 pm

Hi,

The purpose of the rubber feet is an attempt, to support the PCB from be flexed from inerstion of a Card into the ISA sockets.

I have repaired Q40 boards were there has been damage to the internal circuit traces, around the ISA connectors.

There should also be support under the Rom and Ram Sockets, which may also introduce flexing of the PCB, when inserting ram modules.


Regards,

Derek
User avatar
RalfR
Super Gold Card
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Re: New (to me) Q40!

Postby RalfR » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:01 am

Seems to be a quality problem of the PCB. I have had never such problems with PC mainboards when inserting RAM modules or ISA cards.

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

The purpose of the rubber feet is an attempt, to support the PCB from be flexed from inerstion of a Card into the ISA sockets.

I have repaired Q40 boards were there has been damage to the internal circuit traces, around the ISA connectors.

There should also be support under the Rom and Ram Sockets, which may also introduce flexing of the PCB, when inserting ram modules.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests