new Q68 user, already some questions :-)

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: new Q68 user, already some questions :-)

Post by Peter »

guibrush wrote:I plan to mount the Q68 into a real QL case, therefore I alredy ordered 2 important things to be able to do that : a PS/2 to USB converter and a QL USB keyboard adapter.
Impressive :D Thanks for sharing your experiences and and the video!
I feel a bit guilty for not including a more convenient matrix keyboard solution in the Q68 when I see the costs and amount of hardware involved.

On the other hand there were (are?) at least two or three matrix keyboard to PS/2 converter projects for the Q68. Any news on them?

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

guibrush wrote:When I boot QL/E, It take forever to load the desktop wallpaper (there is a message in the center of the screen telling "Photon-heron-1024x768.jpg" for almost 1 minute)
It is normal inasmuch Photon is a slow piece of software when it comes to JPG conversion. (And the colour result is not even fully correct for the Q40/Q60/Q68 highcolor modes.)

For the Q40/Q60 there was a better program called pqiv written by my brother, but I didn't find the time to compile a Q68 version yet.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

bwinkel67 wrote:I got one of their older models off of eBay for about $8 (a piece since I bought the whole lot) and though it works on many devices, on the Q68 it gets lost...not the Q68's fault as the Black Box device doesn't follow the correct protocol specs. Nice to know that they fixed their newest version...maybe in a few years I'll find some discounted again :-/
To work around the issues, there is a new Q68 FPGA and SMSQ/E version which made the older converter model work here for me, but we had problems on other machines. Glad to hear the newer converter seems okay.

guibrush
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by guibrush »

Oh, a PS/2 matrix adapter would at last remove the need of the converter, therefore allow for a better integration ! Would be nice if this happens :-)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Peter wrote:
guibrush wrote:When I boot QL/E, It take forever to load the desktop wallpaper (there is a message in the center of the screen telling "Photon-heron-1024x768.jpg" for almost 1 minute)
It is normal inasmuch Photon is a slow piece of software when it comes to JPG conversion. (And the colour result is not even fully correct for the Q40/Q60/Q68 highcolor modes.)

For the Q40/Q60 there was a better program called pqiv written by my brother, but I didn't find the time to compile a Q68 version yet.
Hi,

In the previous message detailing the Q60 Wallpaper, which was a JPEG file converted to a PIC file. Then I used BGIMAGE to load the PIC file, a lot faster than using Photon with the wallpaper option.

I will have a look at this to see if the QL/E and Black Phoenix distros that can be made faster on the Q68.

Regards,

Derek